You know what type of corals these are.....

ChitownRomeo

Friend of mine is shutting down his tank to move and gave me a few corals. I'm having a hard time telling what these 2 are. The first I believe is encrusting but not sure and I have seen sweepers come out of it at night. The second is real furry and I'm thinking is a type of acro.

2dj5vgm.jpg

dwcd3k.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The top picture looks like a Chalice to me. Very pretty! semi-aggressive.
The bottom one might be a Bird's Nest frag. Non-aggressive.
Those are just MY GUESS at them....wait for other opinions :winky:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Di is spot on, the first is a chalice :)

The second one looks like it may be a birdsnest (seriatopora) but I think, given the size and look of the polyps and that it's encrusting at the base (seriatopora don't encrust like that) my thoughts on it would be pocillopora of some description :)

frisbee

The top picture looks like a Hollywood Stunner Chalice. I'm not really sure about the second one. Maybe a Pocillopora like mentioned above or perhaps a Sylophora..

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yes, the Chalice Coral in my tank was stinging & killing off heads of a neon green candy cane that was next to it. I had to move the candy cane away from the chalice. Now it has GSP & corals that grow too fast anyway next to it, going to wait & see what happens there.
image.jpg
The Chalice puts the tenticals out after the lights dim in the evening. Watch out!

ChitownRomeo

Yes, the Chalice Coral in my tank was stinging & killing off heads of a neon green candy cane that was next to it. I had to move the candy cane away from the chalice. Now it has GSP & corals that grow too fast anyway next to it, going to wait & see what happens there.
View attachment 41766
The Chalice puts the tenticals out after the lights dim in the evening. Watch out!

Wow nice colors! I just switched from Marineland leds to Current Usa True Lumen Pro and my colors lost color fast! That was 2 months ago. Chalices encrust right or do they plate out like Montipora caps.

Oxylebius

Chalice corals encrust, but can end up forming some interesting shapes. Some will form whorls or circular formations, and sometimes some can form tiers or tall bump like protrusions. My pink mink chalice is starting to form a little tall bump like protrusion well away from the rock. Here are a couple of photos. The rock curves back to the right and the coral is growing a protrusion out towards the left.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good info Oxy, Thanks! I've never tried to move mine so I didn't know if it was attaching to the LR or not.
Someone here on the forum told me they like to be placed on a vertical mount. I've since found out they grow fast & they do kill other corals for more space.
Picture of mine's progress from frag size:
image.jpg
(The size it is now is pictured in #6 post in this thread)

Oxylebius

Agree Di. They absolutely kill other corals for more space. That pink mink is killing and overgrowing the pink monti cap you see in my photo. This pic was taken 11 days ago, as you can see the chalice is causing an area of the monti cap to die, then it continues to grow over it.

ChitownRomeo

So I had the Chalice next to some duncans. Not close but kinda close. Nothing for the last few days. (thought it was dead) So today I decided to spray it with some food. Nothing happened. I get bored and like every other creep with a reef tank I crab the flashlight to see the nightly critters in the tank....and OMG the chalice tentacles were out in full for and long as ever!!! Diana you was so right lol.