YellowTail Blue Damsal Fish

jkef2010

I just added a Yellowtail Blue damsel fish to my tank. This is the FIRST fish to go into this tank ever. The place I bought it from did not have any information about its eating habits or temperament. Any advice.

DaveK

Remove it and return it to your LFS now.

They usually end up being a lot more trouble than they are worth in a tank, because they are very territorial and get nasty. I'm quite serious. Most damsels are not desirable fish unless all you want are damsels.

They are easy to keep, and will eat anything, even flakes. I am surprised that your LFS didn't know anything about them, not even enough not to recommend one.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think they are very pretty, and I had one years ago in my 135gal. fish & live rock tank. I wish they weren't so aggressive, but probably 9 times out of 10, THEY ARE. I will not be putting any damsels in my tank because I know they are not a peaceful fish.
They are very hardy but I'm thinking you will not like how it will eventually treat other fish in your tank. You can give it a try & take it back if you find out it's too aggressive later.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
They should eat just about any meaty foods, frozen, flake, pellets. See how he acts, you never know. I know tanks with damsels that are fine.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

jkef2010

Thank you all for the advice, See I chose that fish because I was told they are very hardy. I asked the person that will get the fish about him he said they are peaceful and will do well with others. So that's why I chose him glad I didn't get the others I was going to get a light blue damsel and a three spotted damsel.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Definitely good call not to get the 3 spot (domino) damsel. They are almost always aggressive especially as they get older.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

jkef2010

Wow, Mantis are like beastly. So I will most likely be taking him back then. He is showing a lot of aggression just from the start ( zooming at his reflection as well as my finger.) I thought he would eat the abundance of bristleworms that are starting to pop out but I guess not. ( I didn't notice the worms till a few minutes ago, I started with one now there a lot about 11 from just what I can see.)

david42

I had a yellowtail once. It was second most aggressive fish I had. Almost as bad as the tomato clown.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great advise ^ from everyone... one soon learns... never take what lfs (local fish store) says as fact... without asking & confirming first, we have all made that mistake. Ask here 1st...

I like to look here
Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema)
Temperament: Semi-aggressive

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Yellowtail Damselfish

I like peaceful fish that play well together, a must for my tank. I don't buy.... Temperament: Semi-aggressive

too many peaceful great fish to choose from...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I didn't have anyone to ask about which fish to get & not get except the LFS that I was in when I had my 135gal.(drilled w/sump) FOWLR tank. That's been about 20 years ago and the only fish I remember having in it was two 4-Stripe damsels, a domino damsel, and two blue w/yellow tail damsels and a clownfish. My mind was set on very hardy fish & that's what I would ask "is it hardy & can I put it in with my damsels?". It was a very pretty tank & the fish had LOTS of swimming room. I guess it all depends on what the tank owner wants in a tank. Back then, I was happy with & loved my damsels. A damsel tank is very pretty too!
(But 135gal.tank set up for damsels? What was I thinking??? :smack: ) :D
What I'm trying to say is: it's perfectly fine to choose damsels but don't plan on putting any fish in that will not defend themselves if you have damsels.
What other fish do you have in mind on your "want list"?
You should make a list of fish you want. A very good site to use is Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
I've never bought a fish from there (yet) but I study up on them & check out the customer reviews on the fish there ALWAYS before I buy one anywhere. It's the same site Glenn has a link to above.

yankieman

I just watched a video from Mr saltwater tank on Julian Sprung"s home tanks and he had the yellow tail in his tank and said it is the least aggressive for the damsels and that they usually do well with others ,,, so if you got to have one the yellow tail seems to be the best pick ,,,

lbiminiblue

Thank you all for the advice, See I chose that fish because I was told they are very hardy. I asked the person that will get the fish about him he said they are peaceful and will do well with others. So that's why I chose him glad I didn't get the others I was going to get a light blue damsel and a three spotted damsel.

yeah return it. They're hardy and will accept almost anything, but they're not worth the trouble. Try blue chromis. I'm going to give you some advice: think about what fish you want to maintain in the future. You may not know too many species, families, or even variations, but try to read up on different reef fish. Knowing what you want will make it much easier in getting your tank to run smoothly. For example, my strongest motivation ever since i started reefing was to own one of these guys:Redirect Notice a Mandarin Dragonet. Little did I know they're extremely hard to keep, and I compounded the problem by getting two wrasses, which compete with dragonets for their natural food. Dragonets are hard to keep even on their own. So now I need to bend over backwards trying to figure out how I can devise a feeding system, all because of two little fish, and because tearing down a tank to catch two fish is too much work. Rant off. :) What I'm trying to say is, plan out your choices. If you want, ask questions, tell us what you want as far as color, and behavior. There's plenty of info on this great forum to help you start. If you can get some feedback on your number one choices, your experience will be great. Welcome aboard!
-blue

jkef2010

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it. It was really good advice. I will either be selling it or taking it back

DaveK

I just watched a video from Mr saltwater tank on Julian Sprung"s home tanks and he had the yellow tail in his tank and said it is the least aggressive for the damsels and that they usually do well with others ,,, so if you got to have one the yellow tail seems to be the best pick ,,,

Check the video out again. The damsel in question is not a yellowtail damsel, but a different species. Note how the yellow extends down the tail and onto the belly of the fish on the one Sprung has.

If you can find the same species, they you also might be able to keep it. Just keep in mind that Julian Sprung has a lot of experience and a large tank, so he's going to get a way with a lot more things than most reef keepers.

yankieman

Check the video out again. The damsel in question is not a yellowtail damsel, but a different species. Note how the yellow extends down the tail and onto the belly of the fish on the one Sprung has.

If you can find the same species, they you also might be able to keep it. Just keep in mind that Julian Sprung has a lot of experience and a large tank, so he's going to get a way with a lot more things than most reef keepers.

Ok fine! it is not a yellow tail but a yellow belly or village belle damsel as Julian called them,, and he also said that NOT ALL damsels are bad some are rather benign and you can keep groups of them and they wont bother anybody,, and I understand Julian IS an expert thats why I take his word for it ,,,,But as a first fish for anyone to start out with IMO a damsel is not the worst fish to start with since it is such an easy fish,,some one mentioned a dragonet defiantly not for a beginner ,, tangs unless you have a large tank not for a beginner and even a beginner with a large tank should wait awhile and learn,,,first maybe JKEF should tell us what he wants for fish in is tank and how big his tank is and how long since it cycled etc etc before we tell them they cant have a damsel,,,, MAYBE its the perfect fish for them to start out with ,,,,,,,,,,

theplantman

first maybe JKEF should tell us what he wants for fish in is tank and how big his tank is and how long since it cycled etc etc before we tell them they cant have a damsel,,,, MAYBE its the perfect fish for them to start out with ,,,,,,,,,,

He already has, check reef chronicles..... thread is New tank. The best thing that he can do right now is slow down, read the other thread.

jkef2010

Yea, I was reading last night into everyone threads. I see i'm speeding things up a bit and its best to just slow down. So That is what i'm doing I was told my tank had a mini cycle and not a full cycle yet. So im going to wait for the full cycle to complete and then worry about fish. Thank you all for the best advice.

lbiminiblue

Yea, I was reading last night into everyone threads. I see i'm speeding things up a bit and its best to just slow down. So That is what i'm doing I was told my tank had a mini cycle and not a full cycle yet. So im going to wait for the full cycle to complete and then worry about fish. Thank you all for the best advice.

Good idea. And you're welcome! Just ask questions whenever you need to, you'll be happy you did.