Yellow Clown Goby not fattening up

Draco

So, I had this little clown goby for almost 2 months.

He's skinny. very skinny and not bright yellow (faded/white yellow). He eats. I witnessed him eat Life Spectrum Pellets for small fish, Frozen Baby Brine, Nutramar, Mysis and Cyclops.. A variety of frozen foods. He does eat. I don't want to over-feed the tank as my clownfish are pigs!

He's very active. Always swimming and going after the food. He's out in the open, perching as a Clown Goby should. He joins the Clownfish swimming and exploring.

I keep expecting to find him dead in the morning since he's so skinny and sickly looking. He's just not fattening up.

I have no room in my 9 gal nano to think about putting in a little breeder's box to give him more to eat. All tests came out normal, salinity is normal and temp's steady around 78-79º.

Any ideas how to fatten him up?

Here's a pic of him today:
GobyToday_zps2713458a.jpg

and a month ago:
GobyClown_zps6d16f732.jpg

DaveK

That fish looks very thin and weak. I think you'd do more harm than good trying to move it. Note that it's thin in the area between the lateral line and dorsal fin. I'm guessing a bit here. Since it is eating and not getting better, I suspect the fish got poisoned or otherwise damages, long before you got it. That sort of thinness doesn't occur overnight.

About all you can do is keep feeding it and hope. Once and awhile you get lucky, but I don't have much hope for it.

slfcaptain

I had one that wasted away too. Mine appeared to be eating but never fattened up and passed away. Looking at pictures of him when I got him it looks like he was sick the whole time. Other ones at the LFS looked the same.

steve

ziggy

would he have worms?

Had the same with someone's goby here, ate like a pig but was getting thinner and thinner

Bought the item on amazon and goby got better in days

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm wondering if a prazi treatment is worth it. Does he have an appetite and is just not getting fat?

Draco

He eats, and hunts for food. When I approach the tank, all fish, including YCG swims up for food, whether I give it or not, so I assume he has an appetite?

I will have to look into Prazi. I don't have a hospital/Q tank set up.. was waiting for my 2.5 gal to clear from my betta to set it up.

What about adding garlic to the food?

ziggy

He eats, and hunts for food. When I approach the tank, all fish, including YCG swims up for food, whether I give it or not, so I assume he has an appetite?

I will have to look into Prazi. I don't have a hospital/Q tank set up.. was waiting for my 2.5 gal to clear from my betta to set it up.

What about adding garlic to the food?

With him being so thin I would get Prazi on Amazom.com or LFS now. It gets put onto his food and feed him in your main tank.
It is not a med you put into water
Right now you are pressed for time

Doing this has no negative affect

I found the thread for the thinn blenny that Prazi cured by putting it on his food:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/89257-thin-midas-blenny.html

hope it helps you

Draco

I read that it shouldn't be used in tank with feather dusters. I have a few of them.

ziggy

I read that it shouldn't be used in tank with feather dusters. I have a few of them.

Can you either put the fish, for feeding only, in another container
Then put him back into DT after he got fed for 2 minutes

or

See if the feather duster concern is if the whole tank is treated.
If you apply it on his food only and feed him direct, I'd thind the trace amount in such a large water amount should be negligible

ziggy

Can you either put the fish, for feeding only, in another container
Then put him back into DT after he got fed for 2 minutes

or

See if the feather duster concern is if the whole tank is treated.
If you apply it on his food only and feed him direct, I'd thind the trace amount in such a large water amount should be negligible

If there is a concern you can just run carbon before feeding him with it and keep it there until he's better in a few days

JJB103

With him being so thin I would get Prazi on Amazom.com or LFS now. It gets put onto his food and feed him in your main tank.
It is not a med you put into water
Right now you are pressed for time

Doing this has no negative affect

I found the thread for the thinn blenny that Prazi cured by putting it on his food:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/89257-thin-midas-blenny.html

hope it helps you

This was my thread and I followed PSU4ME's advice and my Midas is almost fully fattened up. I just mixed Prazi Pro with my regular frozen food and followed the regimen he suggested. Good luck with it. Hope he pulls through for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk