Xenia on the decline

Pomacanthidae

I got a xenia frag for $20, and it was flourishing and growing until a couple weeks ago, and then it stopped and started rapidly declining in health, and the stalk got super thin and wrinkled, and the polyps were only partially open. Now, the polyps are better, but one of the heads keeps getting thinner. My guess is that my tank has started fully establishing, causing my nitrates to plummet to 0, and I think the lack of nutrients could be bugging it. Am I correct? Do any of you have different theories or ways I could improve it?

DaveK

Xenia is a funny coral often thriving or failing for reasons that are not clear. Some people just can't seem to keep it alive and others get so much growth out of it that it becomes a weed and must constantly be trimmed back.

I would look at these areas. A change in water parameters. New livestock being added, especially if you added the shipping water with you tank water. A change in water flow. a change in lighting.

Uncle99

Yes, if in fact your Nitrate is 0, and phosphate is 0, this would starve this type of coral easily. 5-10 nitrate and phosphate .02-.05 in a mixed is fine