Would you put a Yellow Tang in this tank?

fishhead

Would you put a Yellow Tang in this tank?:

20141101_141304.jpg

There is a sump on the way. Most of the rock is 10-15 years old from a 90 breakdown.

frisbee

I wouldn't. It just looks too small. Then again, looks can be deceiving. How big is the tank actually?

fishhead

65 gallon. equipment:
Chiller, MP40,4x54WT5,2 X 36W 20kKLED, Remora, BH90adding corals slowly. the Yuma cam from the rock, as did all other GSP and polyps. added anemone and fish and 1 SPS frag and a montipora piece. Sump on the way.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
65 gallon. equipment:
Chiller, MP40,4x54WT5,2 X 36W 20kKLED, Remora, BH90adding corals slowly. the Yuma cam from the rock, as did all other GSP and polyps. added anemone and fish and 1 SPS frag and a montipora piece. Sump on the way.

If you did put a Tang in, you'd have to be mindful that in a couple of years time (depending on how old the Tang is when you get it), you would need to upgrade to a bigger tank eventually.
I've got a Regal Blue Tang which was only an inch big when I bought it in August, but I'm planning to up-grade next summer if all goes well, so having it in a 55 gal is okay until then.
It's all in the planning, but you are asking the right questions at the right time.:thumber:

Kremlin

Not big enough to keep a yellow tang long term, like what Yorkie said. You would need to get a bigger tank eventually :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
No, I wouldn't.
It's a better plan IMO to stick with the recommended tank size when a adding fish.
If you want a fish that requires 100 gallon tank, set the tank up before you buy one.

fishhead

My thoughts are confirmed. Thank you all. A yellow clown gobi will do for action and yellow color just fine. I had 3 tangs in a 4 foot 90 that did well for 10 yr or so, but 65 is too small even if it is 4 feet long, and I probably knew that but was seeking confirmation. Good advise here!

bugby220

I think you would be okay with one small yellow tang . it could be a little more aggressive. your rock work is minimal which gives for more swimming space. keeping in mind the Tang may eventually outgrow your tank.