Worried about my corals duncan polyp and devils hand leather

If anyone sees this, I have my Devils Hand leather I am trying to mount it to a good spot, crabs keep crawling over it and it seems droopy, I will get pictures up soon as i can start posting them. All the levels seem fine, but he droops and falls over. Not sure where to place him or what to do with him. Has a tip that looks like it is dead, it turned white and crusty over night. Pics will come

Also my Duncan polyp pictures will come, seemed to be ok at first even poped out a new stalk the first night it was in the tank, now is all closed up and did not come out at all yesterday. It was knocked by an emerald crab so i did glue it to the LR last night. Thanks to reading the forums here but this morning i took a pic that will come, it just seems unhappy.

Water Params
All good
Calcium is a little high 540ppm
SG 1.025

System
29 Gallon
(1) 36 watt True Actinic 03
(1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight
(2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar
pump running 265GPH
No skimmer yet on order
30lb LR 30lb LS, gave about 1 1/2 inch of substrate
running for a month

Livestock
6 Nerite Snail
6 Red Leg hermits
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Arrow Crab
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Serpent Star

Here are the pics hopefully this worked correctly, if you can see them the first Duncan pic should be day one when it went in open and full of life, next was this morning its all moody. and then i have the devils hand and lastly should be the placement of the coral.

IMAG0054_zpsp8xgo1np.jpg.html

IMAG0059_zps32kxyzs2.jpg.html

IMAG0062_zpssn9cogaf.jpg.html

IMAG0060_zpsepnvhkx4.jpg.html

IMAG0057_zps4dypymnu.jpg.html

Last edited:

reefer gladness

Can you post the rest of your test results? Calcium is more than a little off and may indicate unbalanced levels with alkalinity and magnesium. Post you're dosing schedule also please, you must be dosing to have calcium that high.

Here are the pics hopefully this worked correctly, if you can see them the first Duncan pic should be day one when it went in open and full of life, next was this morning its all moody. and then i have the devils hand and lastly should be the placement of the coral.

IMAG0054_zpsp8xgo1np.jpg.html

IMAG0059_zps32kxyzs2.jpg.html

IMAG0062_zpssn9cogaf.jpg.html

IMAG0060_zpsepnvhkx4.jpg.html

IMAG0057_zps4dypymnu.jpg.html

The Devils Hand Day One
Devils Hand Day 3 should I be worried?
Duncan Polyp Day 1
Duncan Polyp Day 3 I am worried here, I did just get him glued in though
Where the corals are placed, Should I move them

Finally the pictures

Can you post the rest of your test results? Calcium is more than a little off and may indicate unbalanced levels with alkalinity and magnesium. Post you're dosing schedule also please, you must be dosing to have calcium that high.

KH is 35.8
Amonia .25 ppm
PH 7.6
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Phosphate .25 ppm

Snid

How old is the tank? I am still learning about corals myself, but I know they need a fairly mature tank before they will thrive, and from I thought I saw elsewhere, your tank just recently finished cycling not too long ago. Not sure of what the best course of action would be, but I'm pulling for you! Hopefully someone with great experience can chime in soon.

Yea it did just finish it cycle its been running about a month, I was told by my LFS that it would be safe to put corals in now so I did. But from what I see here the LFS can be dumb. I did bring my water in for them to test as well. They did not give me the results but said I would be good. Hoping that someone can tell me either i am doing it wrong and what to fix or they can say dont worry they are just acclimating and it might take some time.

News Update I want to kill my Emerald Crabs. Only because I cannot mount things well but they knocked the Duncan out of the glue so I will need to figure out a new mounting scheme for him. and at this rate he will never open.

Snid

I can tell you this much about testing, which I hope helps you out. You never want to rely solely on an answer from a LFS that is along the lines of "Your water is fine." If you aren't going to do the tests yourself and are going to rely on someone else to do it, at the very least ask for the results of all the tests to be written down. Keep an ongoing record of all your tests because they don't only tell you where your water chemistry is at, but also where it may be going or coming from. Such a history is invaluable, as it can help you make certain that not only are you safe and stable for that day, but also from day to day. Of course, if you do the testing yourself, that's one less person getting involved with your tank, and one less person that can mess something up.

reefer gladness

KH is 35.8
Amonia .25 ppm
PH 7.6
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Phosphate .25 ppm

Well the ammonia is definitely an issue and will be very stressful for all inhabitants in the tank. It looks like your tank is still cycling, ammonia and nitrites should be zero (ammonia will break down to nitrites). Large water changes are probably best at this point to dilute the pollution. No more additions until tank has stabilized.

Well the ammonia is definitely an issue and will be very stressful for all inhabitants in the tank. It looks like your tank is still cycling, ammonia and nitrites should be zero (ammonia will break down to nitrites). Large water changes are probably best at this point to dilute the pollution. No more additions until tank has stabilized.

Aww dang, will I have problems with the corals then? I am not sure what to do. I dont think there is a way to take them back. I will def not add anymore thank you for your help. do you know of anyway to protect the corals if this is my only tank, also no friends to rescue the corals for a few days.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Water Changes is your best bet right now because the tank is still so young and cycling.

Remember Dilution is the Solution to Pollution! You need to do a couple of "Safe" water changes and monitor closely. You see ammonia you start getting ready for another partial water change that day.

LSKjaws

I kind of had the same problem with my Duncan when I first got it. My mistake was trying to put it in different places rather then leaving it alone. I also found that it likes being inserted in the substrate and its starting to thrive I got the start of 4 new heads and color is good. Now my other leathers and star polys is a different story. I was using the Tropic Marin Reef Pro and down graded to the standard TM salt mix and its created more nitrates than with TMRP and causing more brown diatrons. Also when I first started with my tank a year ago I used Instant Ocean which is giving me the same result as the standard TP mix. My water parameter were much better with TMRP, so I'm getting ready to order my next batch next week to get back to where I was.

Really like your set up. I have 100g corner tank.

Water Changes is your best bet right now because the tank is still so young and cycling.

Remember Dilution is the Solution to Pollution! You need to do a couple of "Safe" water changes and monitor closely. You see ammonia you start getting ready for another partial water change that day.

Thanks I will keep an eye on it I hope i did not kill everything already. But i guess being a nub it happens, thanks for the help

I kind of had the same problem with my Duncan when I first got it. My mistake was trying to put it in different places rather then leaving it alone. I also found that it likes being inserted in the substrate and its starting to thrive I got the start of 4 new heads and color is good. Now my other leathers and star polys is a different story. I was using the Tropic Marin Reef Pro and down graded to the standard TM salt mix and its created more nitrates than with TMRP and causing more brown diatrons. Also when I first started with my tank a year ago I used Instant Ocean which is giving me the same result as the standard TP mix. My water parameter were much better with TMRP, so I'm getting ready to order my next batch next week to get back to where I was.

Really like your set up. I have 100g corner tank.

Thanks, I think that is the problem is that he keep getting bumped or falling over I am hoping to get him stable today when I get home, I am going to test again at lunch. I just hope i dont kill everything being stupid. I should have posted here and gotten help from the start.

Snid

Well, don't go beating yourself up over it. You should be proud of yourself for seeking other opinions than just the LFS when things started looking bad. Many people keep going to the same source over and over, getting bad information, and then really mess up even worse.

So far, before I commit to any one decision with my tank, I have been checking several sources. You may have noticed me asking a question about testing Alkalinity because I got an unusual answer from my LFS. Asking questions is never a bad way to go. It's how we learn. You done good.

Ok so the Devils hand leather has doubled in size since the 16th, looks healthy and happy, duncan has still not opened up will have pictures soon.

OK so I went to another LFS last night to get some more advice about the Duncan Polyp. They said to try to spot feed it while it is like this, and it may take 2 weeks for it to start opening in the tank? what do you all think about this? the Duncan still has not opened.