Working with Acrylics....

Pro_builder

Here is all the info that you need for working with acrylics, tips and all:
Follow This Link for info and to get more info sent to your email:
Working with Acrylics

This info was sent to me by SAN DIEGO PLASTICS, INC.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks Mike! nice to see something that dosent use c+c machines and routers for a change

Aqua Pro

Wow, full company name is so similar o you mod.

Everyone, if there is question about acrylics, I would not mind to answer as well.

Luukosian

umm...unseal the box and stick it in lol. This is a really old thread. If this is a serious question elaborate a little bit.

Luukosian

Ussualy if it was done well the compound they use to seal it acctually "melts" the two peices of acrylic together. It would be hard to get a clean cut and seperate the joint I imagine. What is it exactly you are trying to do and why is it completely sealed? If it is some kind of sump you probably want to cut out the top anyways.

coolsatman

I build a replica of Frankie's skimmer but have issues that need bulkheads install in the bottom portion of the main box and it is completely melted together so i have to do something from the outside just not sure what my options are. Everything is working ok right now but I have some small leaks that i have to deal with.
i have a 1/2 inch drain that i installed in the very bottom section and a 2" drain in the upper section that i have to be sure are water tight. 1/2 inch is pvc 2
" is abs. any thouhgts???

coolsatman

I have a pm into Fankie because i know he had to install a drain as well just wondering how he did it. I would hate to have to cut this thing open

Luukosian

Yeah I imagine frankie would probably be more help because he's more familiar with the skimmer design. Would hate to see you have to cut it all up after trying to make it look clean.

coolsatman

ya it was a lot of work to put this together but well worth it there must be some kind of goop out there that will seal from the outside. we put en on the mon all the time lol

Luukosian

Well there is solvent/glue that will affix the plastic bulkhead to the outside without another peice on the inside, but I imagine it doesn't have as strong as a bond as having a 2 peice bulkhead.

coolsatman

ya but there is not alot of pressure in a skimmer mostly just flow threw so i'm open to all options at this point.
I tried silicone, didn't work and also tried loctite sumo didn't work either so next step maybe a two part weldon product just not sure. but like i said waiting for frankie's reply I know he has done it just don't know if he took it apart are if it was done from the outside. thought maybe somebody else has experienced this delema

Jeremy0322

Frankie is definitely the one you need to talk to about this stuff. I was told to use Weldon #4 to repair broken acrylic, thats about as far as my help goes...haha

coolsatman

right on thanks for the info. I used weldon 4 and 16 to put this together but not working for dif plastics. I know there is a product out there just not sure what to order. I think i need to do some more research on welding dif plastics