Woke up to cloudy water ?

cracker

This morn the water in the 180 was cloudy . Only thing Iv'e added was 3 nassarious snail this week end.
so this tank has been going for almost 2 years now. I have 4 fish & a few snail. A pair of clowns & 2 Buttefly's Anyway I ran an AM test & that's ok. The fish are out & mooching for food as usual no smell, nothing but cloudy water. A clean filter sock was added sometime last week. I'm not stressing but wonder what happened.
I have a 40 gl w/t scheduled for today just gotta get the salinity right at this point. Maybe run some carbon? Any suggestions? Thanks !

cracker

Thanks Uncle, Not enough snails to stir it up that much. I do,have big female clown who has been fanning all the sand from under her rock island. She 's been hard at this lately I suppose she could have stirred it up. Never didn't think of that. I foolishly didn't rinse the sand before adding it in the beginning so There is a lot of silt. I checked for Am it's zero, Ph is 8.0. There's no detectable No3 or Po4 in the tank. Despite the age of this tank I "think" it hasn't matured due to such a small bio load all this time. I'm just now seeing some algae on the rock & it's ready for more snails.
So added 3 cups of carbon & the w/t is almost right on salinity. Thanks Everyone for the suggestions. Also to Uncle for bringing my attention to the silt idea. It really does make sense to me seeing how Nothing has changed or anything added recently.

Last edited:

DaveK

I'd be looking very carefully for anything that died and might be fouling the water. Be sure to test for ammonia and nitrite to see if anything is going on.

Also look for algae and/or diatom blooms.

It is also possible that calcium or alk is precipitating out of solution. In that case you need to make major partial water changed.

I don't see the few added snails to be the source of your problem.

Uncle99

Didn't thing so, you have a mature tank with a light load.
Yup I have clowns and a lawnmower which use their tail to stir up the sand but it doesn't cloud my tank....I like your thinking though, if theirs some real fine particulate dust that was not rinsed out, maybe he's stirring the pot?
Let us know how you resolve...

cracker

After the water change ,things looks a lot clearer. I'm going not going to freak until in the morn . If it's all clouded up again? I'll breakout the UV & do more water changes.
Thanks for all the insight !

cracker

OK something is going on ! I just saw both clowns even small Mr Barnum was out chasing the Butterfly's away . I have never seen this little guy leave Clown island !

Uncle99

Are they protecting a spawn?
They do a ton of chasing and fanning to protect and aerate their eggs.
Just a SWAG

cracker

They could be but I can't see in there . So this morn it's all cleared up & back to normal What happened? I have no ideas. Thanks for the ideas !

cracker

No Am spike, as for snails? not sure I have/had a bunch in there. No tellin what happened. All is Groovy now ! :rolleyes:

Oxylebius

@cracker I know this happened a while ago. But do you think it was a bacteria bloom? Adding anything new and cause it. There isn't any harm to inhabitants and it doesn't register on test kits. And both of these things fit what you posted about.