Wireless webcam?

carlfike

I'm thinking about setting up a wireless webcam for my tank and i was wondering what models some of you folks that have them use?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think Juan (jpsika08) has one that he likes a lot. You may want to PM him and ask him to reply to this thread (that way we all learn collectively).

jpsika08

Yup, it's very common camera

Pros:
Durable
The image quality is good
Easy to configure and access

Cons:
Would hope the wireless configuration would be easier
In case of a power break when it comes back you have to manually turn the camera off and on to get it to work again, so it's not possible to use an automated on/off mode with a controller.

Hope this helps.

tnwillia

I used that camera also. It served it's purpose but I was never happy with the picture quality seen on-line. The Cisco software made it the easiest install I've ever had. I've looked for other wireless cameras but there are not many to choose from. Good luck!

ErnestoC

Hi Carlfike

The cam I have is a foscam fi8918w and that camera works connected or wireless with your internet router.. The first time you have to connect it and see on your computer the ip that it is using.. that ip is the internal IP that the cam will use on your network, now you need to go to your router settings in my case it is an airport extreme and set a port for the camera... you will add here the IP the cam is using on your network plus the port you want it to work with... example... lets say your camera connected to the IP 10.0.40 .. that port will be the one you add to your port mapping and the port you will use is 5500... this is good as no other stuff use that port..., after that you need to see the IP yout internet connmection is using, generally the ip of the ISP .. you can see it on your newtork settings

That ip plus the port will be your web address to your cam.. example

The IP of your internet connection 123.456.789

Port: 5500

Address: http:// 123.456.789:5500

You will be able to edit your settings online on your browser

It can be motion activated.. I cached a big bristleworm on my tank that way ;)

You do not need a webhosting or a domain name, in y case that is just extra as I have plans to do some blog later..

Hope this information is of help... It as a little complicated first but once you get it is great for you to check you tank

Have a good day

Ernesto

appydavid

I have Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000 Webcam,

Features
See Clearly

2.0 megapixel High Definition video resolution*
7.6 megapixel High Definition still photos (1280 x 960 pixels, interpolated)**
Wide-Angle lens with 71 degree field of view
3x digital zoom

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Glenn, you had to go and post that cam. Now I'm thinking another 'must-have' toy. At least I can use this one for all my pets. That looks very user friendly. I looked at a couple of the public cams and was pretty impressed.