Will worms die off in a fallow tank?

Clint24

Hello, I think my female perc clownfish might have worms. I post a pic yesturday of something on the glass I've never seen before ( wondering if it's worms ). My tank is now starting it's fallow stage due to a MI outbreak for atleast. 8-10 weeks. If it was some sort of worm on my glass do I need to treat my DT for it or will it die off during the fallow period?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Johnson

The stuff on your glass was snail eggs. But your description of a string coming out of the clownfish indicates worms. So the question is, could there be parasitic worms in your DT; and will they live without a host?

Steve L

Depending on the type, they probably won't die off as long as they have some kind of food in the sand bed and on the rock. I have a 30 as a quarantine tank and it's gone months with barely anything in it, but 2 weeks ago I was rearranging some rock and found two bristle worms alive and well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
SteveL I can see where you would assume bristle worm surviving a fallow tank and "Worms" surviving might be similar but they are night and day different. Bristle worms are scavengers and can live off of almost anything organic while "worms" such as would infect a fish have a very specific diet and life cycle. Break the cycle and the worm problem goes with it. The problem is killing the worms without killing the fish.

The link MJ posted and his response is spot on. Good job Mike. :thumber:

Clint24

Lol mike. No I sure didn't. I used to have a beautiful mixed reef in this tank a few years ago but had to tear it down do to life's unexpected events & just tryin to get back into the hobby but I've had nothin but problems this time around. Oh well, hopefully it goes better after the fallow period. :)

Clint24

Thanks for all the other replies to my issue. I'm new to the forum thing but I do appreciate all the advise, help & support. Thanks

Steve L

SteveL I can see where you would assume bristle worm surviving a fallow tank and "Worms" surviving might be similar but they are night and day different. Bristle worms are scavengers and can live off of almost anything organic while "worms" such as would infect a fish have a very specific diet and life cycle. Break the cycle and the worm problem goes with it. The problem is killing the worms without killing the fish.

The link MJ posted and his response is spot on. Good job Mike. :thumber:

Yeah I see that now Al. I mis-read his post, (love it when the phone rings in the middle of something) and replied before reading it again.