HELP! Will my Squamosa Clam be ok??

capital1983

Hey guys,

I have ordered a medium Squamosa from LA about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine up until a couple nights ago.

I came down in the early morning to start work and shined a flashlight in my tank to see if everything was acting peacefully.

I noticed that the clam was open on top but the bottom portion of the mantle was folded in or eaten. I quickly picked it up to check for snails and saw one of my smaller emerald crabs was holding onto the scales not necessarily eating the mantle but I’m assuming just bothering the clam. I removed the crab and haven’t found him back on the clam for a couple days. Another crab has been hanging out on my acropora frag that I just got. That occurs nightly and I remove him each night I see it happen. But don’t see any damage done to the frag. My question is do you think that the clam is just annoyed and may take a few days, week to fully open? I haven’t manipulated it in any way to open any further, just trying to wait it out. This is the first time out of the 4 clams that I have had since reefing they I’ve seen this happen.

Thoughts??
7238eaedc3888f5a6318c6b54f8fbdc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I doubt the emerald was eating it, likely picking stuff off the shell. I would leave it alone and watch to see it it declines in health anymore. Keep a close eye

capital1983

I doubt the emerald was eating it, likely picking stuff off the shell. I would leave it alone and watch to see it it declines in health anymore. Keep a close eye
Thanks PSU4ME. Yea the crab was on the underside of where the clams mantle was folded in. It’s been a little over a week now and it hasn’t recovered in the folded in pet, but the remaining portion is doing ok. It is pulsating and eating when I feed and still reacts to current and light changes. Hopefully the mantle recovers soon.

DaveK

I wouldn't trust any crab. They are feeders of opportunity and will generally eat anything they can catch. That being said, there is a chance your clam will recover. Keep an eye on it. It doesn't take much to kill a clam.

capital1983

I wouldn't trust any crab. They are feeders of opportunity and will generally eat anything they can catch. That being said, there is a chance your clam will recover. Keep an eye on it. It doesn't take much to kill a clam.
Thanks DaveK. Hopefully it will recover. I’ve been keeping a close eye on it and the crab hasn’t been back since that one night.