Wierd tank

Paul B

I visited my Mother N Law today in a nursing home and I have always noticed this tank there. It is about 300 gallons, has some koi that must be about 5lbs each, a huge alligator catfish about 14" long, giant dino's, African Cichlids all swimming around a plastic coral reef.

DaveK

This is rather disappointing. The fish have different requirements. They should have either picked the koi or the other fish, and set up a decent aquascape, even if it had to use plastic plants and rocks.

Paul B

There used to be about 5 or 6 koi that size but I think they died as they were much to large for that tank. I also think they have big fish because the people there are very old and can't see well but I don't know why the cichlids or other fish are mixed in. The "reef" looks stupid to me and takes up way to much room for such big fish.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'm in agreement with David. Very sad sight.
I kinda see what happened though. Who ever set that up did it for saltwater originally. Then the budget got too high and they compromised.
Seen it before. Would be interested in seeing the filtration system. I would not be surprised to see a skimmer under there.
Personally I agree with you Paul that larger fish are easier seen in that situation.