Why ReefSanctuary?

scubaguy

I first started on saltwaterfish.com's forum. After a few posted threads I decided to go here. Just one too many die hard snobby argumentative users who just couldn't stand others' opinion on things. It was just annoying to post anything to say the least. People are much more friendly & helpful on this site & don't argue as much either. Their's more freedom to post topics about other websites & products. Best site in my opinion. Haven't tried any other's though, can't seem to be able to register.

subaqua

My answer is easy, because of great people in this forum such as DianaKay, Nanoreefing4fun, BigAl07 and etc..Members here like to share their experience and give a lot of support..When I started my first tank, I had million questions and found all answers here. I also buy my chiller from a member in this forum, and it works great..So I am happy that I am in..

kyle4201

well, when I first started I went about it all wrong. I bought a tank, started having problems and started researching. I just googled everything and 98% of the time I would end up on a thread on this forum. I finally got up the nerve to join, thinking every1 was so knowledgeable they wouldnt have time to help me out or would not like me breaking into "their" turf. being the new guy I almost didnt post, I thought my questions would roll eyes or be to NOOB for every1, I just wanted to read. The exact opposite happened. Every1 is so nice and awesome! I have had phone conversations with some and have reached out to help others. There is no forum I would rather or want to be. Thank you all so much for the help and patience. Im looking forward to paying you back someday on here in any way I can.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My answer is easy, because of great people in this forum such as DianaKay, Nanoreefing4fun, BigAl07 and etc..Members here like to share their experience and give a lot of support..When I started my first tank, I had million questions and found all answers here. I also buy my chiller from a member in this forum, and it works great..So I am happy that I am in..

You know, that is SO NICE for you to say....I super appreciate your recognition. I'm HERE because I'm "playing it forward" for all the AWESOME HELP & support I got when getting back into this great hobby. :)
Things in the SW world have changed so much for the better since 18 years ago. This type of HELP & SUPPORT is the best change of all! Can you just imagine when all we (all of us in this hobby) only had the LFS to guide us? NOW, If THAT isn't a scary thought...I don't know what is! :yup: learn much the hard way back then & that makes me know how VALUABLE Reef Sanctuary is. There is not a better forum that I know of :)
So, I'm Here to stay & help anyone I can. :thumber:

StirCrayzy

We pay it Fwd!
There's prob 10 noobs lurking right now waiting to follow in your steps.
I've found no matter how long between waves of new folks, the wave prior is jumping right in and helping out!
And it's so fresh in mind, the excitement to be able to pass that knowledge on so quickly shows in the posts.
Keep up the good work all you Veteran Noobs!:clink::thumbup:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Weekend bumper! Lets see some new faces, this is a great forum for everyone.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Let's hear some new "why" stories.........RS is a great place and we need to spread the word!

Paul B

I find this to be one of the friendliest forums also and I am on 87 of them. OK 5. But that is still a lot. I don't give much advice for two reasons, first of all, I am wrong most of the time and second, my methods "may" be a little outdated or radical for many. But I like it here and very few people call me bald or old. Not that I am or anything. OK, so I am, but that's another story.
Merry Christmas (or whatever you believe, or don't believe) :ofr:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
If I haven't participated on the forum for a while, or haven't updated my tank thread, I have members posting or sending PM's to me asking how I'm doing, how my tank is doing and where I am! In other words, they miss me when I'm gone. How cool is that?

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Wow how did I miss this thread.... Cue my shame.

Seriously though, I get my iPad every morning before work and scan the participated. Goto work, get back to wherever I'm staying the night and hit the tapytalk and check in again. I'm a member of a few forums, but might as well be dormant as I never post, or even check in. Here I actually feel like I want to get to know you all, want to help if I can, and most importantly feel like this is as much a part of my hobby as the glass box that holds it all together.

So from me to you all - thank you.

Ps if your just browsing wondering if to join etc. don't hesitate and get stuck in, you really must.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/83315-als-red-sea-650-a.html[url]

Snid

I like Reef Sanctuary mainly because the people on the forums seem to care more about my tank than they do me, which is exactly what my tank needs. RS is a constant reminder of what I need to do to have a healthy tank, full of life and compatible biodiversity. Everyone chimes in with great advice in a heartfelt and friendly manner. The members here are very thorough, and even rely on one another for experiences and expert advise from key members that have a wealth of knowledge for us all to lean on. Everyone has a different style and approach with how they share their knowledge, which is great because how people communicate varies, so because of the differences the messages tend to get through. There is also wonderful support when good advise is given, reassuring the advise given thus making it more sound and secure. I've never asked a question here and not gotten a response that was complete with facts and truth.

jaws789832

I am here because of Paul B. I think he is the god father of saltwater. heheheh if any of you haven't read his posts I suggest you do, both for the knowledge and the humor he provides. Actually Most on RS have helped me and they dont even know as I am usually just a browser not a talker. I read what you all have to say then take the parts that work for me and apply my own style and it seems to be working so thanks to all of you.

Witfull

I always love to see our hard work and dedication pay off... and that the spirit of RS has not strayed from our very beginnings waaaay back in 2003!

A big tip of the hat to our mods here... they are the heart and soul of Reef Sanctuary!

once upon a time there were many happy friends living in a land of joy and happiness. one day a dark cloud appeared on the horizon, but it just loomed at the edge of our home. but slowly, this ominous darkness began to envelop the land and took away the happiness of close knit friends. slowly people moved away, drifting off, never to be seen again. but a few strong minded determined friends circled the ranks of the forlorn and ventured off together to find a safe place to put down roots. pooling resources and hard work allowed a spark to ignite, a hearth fire warmed the new home, and the friends searched for their wayward brethren. slowly the family grew larger and each vowed to protect each other and to give safe haven to all that seek it. and thus, the Sanctuary was born. PSU was there as was I. I have been gone for quite some time, but I am happy to see that the aspirations and dreams are still deeply rooted in the hearts of all here.

Squatch XXL

This site is more suited for success of reef and aquarium keeping vs the "Other guys". Responses are methodical, and the experience is real. It is not a bunch of 5 week tank owners pushing their book-smarts as fact. By book-smart, I mean post regurgitation of some other 7 week member with many more minutes of time in the trade.

This site has helped me in many ways, either directly or just by having a consolidated source of long term info. Success in this hobby is had slowly, and anything that happens fast is probably a bad idea.

I am also a member of a local reef club's forum, and am active there. Aside from that, I have no "social network". I don't facebook, I don't twitter and I like it that way.

I strive to return the favor by helping out wherever I can.

I don't actually know how I got here, but I did. I was drinking heavy at the time, and my memory is fuzzy.

Thanks again for everything

-SquatchXXL

Pat24601

This site is more suited for success of reef and aquarium keeping vs the "Other guys". Responses are methodical, and the experience is real. It is not a bunch of 5 week tank owners pushing their book-smarts as fact. By book-smart, I mean post regurgitation of some other 7 week member with many more minutes of time in the trade.

This site has helped me in many ways, either directly or just by having a consolidated source of long term info. Success in this hobby is had slowly, and anything that happens fast is probably a bad idea.

I am also a member of a local reef club's forum, and am active there. Aside from that, I have no "social network". I don't facebook, I don't twitter and I like it that way.

I strive to return the favor by helping out wherever I can.

I don't actually know how I got here, but I did. I was drinking heavy at the time, and my memory is fuzzy.

Thanks again for everything

-SquatchXXL

I agree 100%. There is way less attitude and judgement here than on "other" sites. It's much easier to have a conversation and even ask dumb questions without feeling like 20 people are waiting for you to say something in slightly the wrong way and jump down your throat.

Clearly, some folks here are much more knowledgeable than others and we know who they are. But, they impart their knowledge in a non-threatening way that really helps one build a successful reef.

Last edited:

melvis

Agree 100% with what Pat said. Lurking on the others from time to time before joining kind of put me off. A UK based one I sometimes pop on (sometimes, ok not really, more like rarely...,just in case I upset the powers that be here lol) just seemed to be a bit too much hard work. Never joined as I got the feeling that any wrong approach or word would result in me being shot down.

This site was a rock when I set mine up in late 2014 and the likes of @Oxylebius, @nanoreefing4fun, @Pat24601 (and countless others) were and remain great help on numerous occasions. Mike Johnson (not been on the site since 2015) was a wealth of knowledge on ID'ing hitchhikers. It never ceases to amaze me just how helpful folk are around here, how much of their time they give up for others and just how much collectively and singularly people know.

I seem to have periods of activity and then go quiet, but every time I do come back, the 'old crew' are never far away for valuable advice.