White spots on Live rock in new tank!

Newjack

So I started a new tank with a power head, filtration, 10k and actinic bulbs, a moon light, live sand, live rock, and water from the local store. It has been cycling for 24 hours now and I have noticed a change on the live rocks already. The rocks came with some growth already on them and a mushroom. I have noticed a few hitch hikers as well, Some actually walking.

Today I went to turn the lights off and noticed the live rock has white spots all over them. They were not there at the store nor yesterday. I have been watching it all day and it does not seem to be getting worse but some spots are in a cluster. They can be picked off with effort and seem to be pretty solid almost like calcium build up.

Any idea on what these are? Is it dead spots from transport?

Able to post pics now if anyone didn't see.

newjack-albums-live-rock-picture25295-wp-20140211-003.jpg

newjack-albums-live-rock-picture25296-wp-20140211-004.jpg

Last edited:

Tokalosh

Do yourself a favour and "RUB" off all the areas you can see that have "White Spot" and let us know if they reappear.
Im suspecting that this may only be air bubbles.

Tok

Mike Johnson

I've never seen bubbles that were white and hard like calcium build up either, have you?

Oh, glad to have you back with your pictures.

Steve L

Whatever they are I wouldn't worry about them. Over the next few weeks you're going to see colors and spots of all shapes and sizes on the rocks. It could be something as simple as small colonies of bacteria that were getting light at the lfs and not getting enough now, so you could cycle it with the lights on if you want.

If your tank cycles properly you'll probably lose some of the hitch hikers when the ammonia and nitrite spikes, so expect many more chages to come. It's all good.

Newjack

Hey thank for all the replies!
I know there not bubbles nor will they just "RUB" off. I got up this morning and looked at them again. There does not seem to be any change. It would be nice if they are snail eggs or even just nothing. Its just something I haven't seen before.
thanks again

ziggy

+1 you're going to see changes daily.

Sit back, enjoy the ride and have a beer.

Just make dialy measurements for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so you know where in the cycle you are daily

Newjack

Just walked by the tank and in the corner of my eye I saw little dude walking on top of the rock again. I think I might have adopted a little shrimp with my rock. He ran off and hid in a hole when I got to close so its hard to tell.
did my first test and its
Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Mike Johnson

If you want to save the hitchhikers you have you should do regular water changes to dilute the ammonia. Cycling with live rock is different than the customary wait for nitrogen cycle to complete.

Oh I just saw your pictures. DSP is correct on this one - Spirorbidae. Also, I see you have some Vermetid Snails in there; you'll want to break them off the rock.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

Newjack

If you want to save the hitchhikers you have you should do regular water changes to dilute the ammonia. Cycling with live rock is different than the customary wait for nitrogen cycle to complete.

Do you think they are worth saving? The closest store is about a 30 min drive one way plus price of water.

Mike Johnson

That's a judgment call on your part. Saving the shrimp? might be cool. My last tank set up was with three boxes of imported (live fish) Vanuatu rock and I went through two buckets of salt. Did daily large water changes the first week. Second week large changes every other day. I have hundreds of hitchhikers.

Certainly not mainstream - it's a different type of tank.