White spot via live rock?

funkoid

If you purchase live rock from a system that has previously suffered from white spot (say within the past 5-6 months) I presume there is a large change of the white spot being present in your system once the rocks are added.

Is there anyway to remove these pests before adding fish to the new setup? Or should any LR that's experienced white spot be avoided?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
hmm.....that is a good question with many potential answers I think. Think about it.....same as buying rock straight out of the ocean right? If you are cycling the tank, I assume it wouldn't make it due to the ammonia levels and the lack of a host "Fish". If you're buying the rock, I would suggest cycling the tank with a deli shrimp and after a bot add the clean up crew........wait to add a fish. If you can hold off on a fish for a bit i think you'r chances are really good.

Someone may have better technical answer for you though.

DaveK

The other consideration is, did the the seller medicate the tank because it had SW ich? Some meds, especially copper can leach out of the rock for years.

funkoid

Yes I did ask good call though. I've pulled out of all sales but it's good to still hear feedback and other things to watch out for :)