White sebae anemone

Chris954

Hey guys what do you think about the white sebae anemone planning on getting one for my biocube anyone have one ?

soco

If it is actually "white" then it is bleached and unhealthy seabae's should have some color to them wheter it be pink or brownish.
Also from what i understand sebaes are an the harder side too keep happy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Florida also just banned the collection of them, so I think that the price is about to go way up.

saltfan

I have a beige one with white tips I have had for about 2 weeks now and is doing great. I feed it once a week, I introduced 2 perculas at the same time and they took to it by morning.
DSCF2040.jpg

Roots

I have one. A Purple Tip Sebae and it was VERY white when I got it and I believe it had recently expelled its Zooxanthellae but looked otherwise healthy. I have had mine for about 6 months or a little more. Mine has grown and is doing excellent and has gotten some color back. It's still a pale color (That's the way white Sebaes look) but it's a soft almost pastel purple/brown color. I keep it under Fluorescent lighting & I feed it Silversides a couple times a week and it's doing well. Here is a pic of mine.

roots-albums-55-gal-reef-w-20-gal-sump-refugium-picture23786-purple-tip-sebae-anemone.jpg

soco

One of the most difficult nems to keep, my LFS won't even guarantee them and recommend them for experts or professionals only. There are white varieties from Indo though, Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Sebae Anemone

Before considering any nem how old is your tank and what kind of lighting do you have over it? I doubt stock biocube lighting is up to the task.

But if you look close the white one isnt really white its kinda brown

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

reefin101

I had a sebae in a 10g which he outgrew and moved him to a 20g nano....
When you see them white they are bleached and strressed. They should be when healthy a light brownish color.
usually you see them in stores as white.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to re-ask the question about sebae anemones. For those who have posted before, do you still have yours and how are they doing? Has anyone else purchased one of these and how are they doing? I have two true perculas and I hope to have them host this anemone. I'm aware that they are difficult to keep, but I feel up to the task. My tank is 8 months old today, and water parameters have been consistent and constant for months.

reefer gladness

It's always hit or miss as to whether your clowns will want to be hosted. I wouldn't feel obligated to start off with a variety of nem that is so difficult to keep. BTA's are easier to care for and have an equal chance of hosting your clowns.

LostintheDark

I picked up a "White" Sebae about a year ago. It had a rough time at first and wouldn't settle down. I finally caged it in so it wouldn't drift in the currents. I fed it Mysis at first. Now I don't target feed it at all. It went from 2 inches to about a foot around and from white to a purplish tan with bright purple tips. Its a stunning addition to the tank. It host a pair of Maroon clowns that do feed it anything to big for them to eat.

Mike Johnson

I picked up a "White" Sebae about a year ago. It had a rough time at first and wouldn't settle down. I finally caged it in so it wouldn't drift in the currents. I fed it Mysis at first. Now I don't target feed it at all. It went from 2 inches to about a foot around and from white to a purplish tan with bright purple tips. Its a stunning addition to the tank. It host a pair of Maroon clowns that do feed it anything to big for them to eat.

Plus you'll notice that the clowns will poop into it. There's no need to feed an anemone that's being hosted.

Mr.Reeefer

I purchased one 2.5 months ago, it was pure white, I thought this is how it was meant to be, I was worried as now that it has been in my tank for 2.5 months and is starting to change colour in its tentacles.

It is healthy, eating well and has almost doubled in size since purchase, but I was curious and worried as to the colour change. Now I know that this is a good sign and too expect more colour change.

Thanks everyone.

:thumber:

Mr.Reeefer

I have two very small white sabae nems, when purchased they were clear and white and still are to be honest, they have purple dots in the tips. I've had them for three months and my tank was only running for a month before adding.... ( I can feel reefergladness spine shivering right now )

I still have them both, one of them has doubled in size, still cleary white colour which a suspect will change in time, but besides there colour they seem happy, my clarkii pair host them, i feed them once every two weeks, I used to feed them once every 3 days peeled prawn but I'm having a cyano issue ATM so I have reduced feeding for a while.

They swell and deflate, so I guess that is a good sign and they always grab the food straight away when feeding time.

If I could turn back the clock I would have waited longer before adding though, I definitely ran before walking.....but there still alive so I'm happy.

winschuc

From what I've read so far, when they bleach out like that you have to feed the pretty heavily. It allows the nem to recover since they can't process light for food.