Which De-Worming Antibiotic To Use?

niqiri

After deciding that I don't want to play Russian Roulette with my fish, I'm going to bite the bullet and set up a quarantine tank. However, I need some advice as to the deworming agent that I will be using (I would appreciate if Lee could post too!). Who has had good experiences with the antibiotic food by jungle? Which form is more effective, water or food-borne? Also, are worms and things of that nature as hard to get rid of in a reef as ich or other parasites? Are there reef-safe treatments for them? CAN I SOAK THE JUNGLE MEDICATION IN GARLIC TO MAKE IT MORE INTERESTING FOR MY FISH? I just found this link to a medication that claims to kill all worms made by FishyFarmacy (look for Paracide-X): Fish Medication - Products Catalog pg.3

DaveK

Generally if you want to treat something internal, you want to get the fish to eat it. Meds in water are much less effective for internal problems.

Personally, I don't think much of any of the Jungle products. They are ok, but I think you can do better.

In my opinion, there are no "reef safe" treatments that are both safe for the reef and effective at treating the disease. Never ever treat your reef tank for a fish disease. Always use a quarantine tank.

leebca

If the fish is eating, the treatment is through foods laced with medication. This can be done in a QT or in the display system.

The Jungle product does the best, but it seems that most fish don't find it appealing. I have slipped it into their regular food with some success, although that is not the way it is supposed to be administered.

Internal worms or parasites are fairly easy to get rid of. They often are not life threatening in the wild, but for a captive fish under stress they can prove to be fatal. A couple of doses and the concern is behind you.

If the fish isn't eating, then the fish needs to be treated in a QT.

Have you read through this post? :read:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...worming-marine-fish-super-pooper-snooper.html
Sounds like you have. Just being sure.

:)