Which color of seaweed is the best for a seaweed clip for my fish to eat?

Which SeaWeed is thebest to put on a SeaWeed Clip for my fish?

• Total voters

new reefer 03

I have like 6 seaweed clips, and all types of seaweed. red, brown, green, purple. the question is which seaweed is the best, and why is it the best? the fish i have that i think will eat it straight off of the clip are a Yellow Tang, LawnMower Blenny, and i have seen some snails on it too.

Thanks! :dodle:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I doubt any single one of them is better than the other in terms of nutritional value. I went to the Ocean Nutrition web site and looked up the protein, fat, fiber and moisture content for the different seaweed products they carry and it is the same for all three.

Protein 33.9%
Fat 4.2%
Fiber 2.5%
Moisture 6.8%

All three are listed as "100% dried seaweed (Macro algaes)", rich in vitamin C and easily digestible. They do not distinguish between the three types except what species of fish they are good for and they don't say why.

If this is not the brand you use, you may want to go to your particular brands web site and do similar research.

For me I buy the green in bulk from Two Little Fishes and my fish only get one kind. I do provide variety by feeding them live macro algaes from time to time that I buy from my LFS.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Anytime! I appreciate and applaud your inquisitive nature. Keep asking questions, that's how you learn.

new reefer 03

im training myself :thumbup:
thats how my old chronicle went from 16 pages so 60 something in 3 weeks. :eek:h:

i dont even know what to talk about in my next chronicle. like if i can even mentionb my fish without adding another 5 pages?? :confused: we will see, lol.

ReefLady

Staff member
I didn't vote in the poll because I think a good mix of different seaweeds is best. Nori, dulse, gracilaria - whatever you can get that is raw/organice (not toasted, flavored, etc). We soaked ours in Selcon or Zoe before putting on the clip.
With so many organic and 'health' food stores out there now, a good selections should be available. Just watch to be sure there aren't any added ingredients.