Votes: 25 3.6%
  • Marine Environment 2 part

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • Bio-Sea

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other (please specify below...)

Votes: 56 8.1%

• Total voters
I use IO. I started out using IO then I switched to reef crystals. It seemed like when using reef crystals the water didnt seem as clear, it didnt benefit the tank any, so I switched back to IO last week. My water seems clearer, also less algae on the glass.

troxy12

I know they sell the "real" saltwater at my local fish store, but I've had no problems with my R/O water and instant ocean in my tank

fishhead

I know they sell the "real" saltwater at my local fish store, but I've had no problems with my R/O water and instant ocean in my tank

This I know. I was just wondering if anyone went out and got their own saltwater from the pacific ocean (or Atlantic) NOT store bought "real" saltwater.:smack:

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
There are people that use ocean water from the ocean. Not a very good idea though if you are not going far out to collect it. Inshore water is highly concentrated in pollutants here around the states.

fishhead

There are people that use ocean water from the ocean. Not a very good idea though if you are not going far out to collect it. Inshore water is highly concentrated in pollutants here around the states.

Agreed. The shore break-line is a skimmer for goodness sake. I meant like take a boat out past the 1/4 mile at least, fill up a couple of 55 gal drums and come home with them. After that, I just wanted to know about parasites and carbon treating the water etc..perhaps I should check out about.com?:surrender:

RavenMind

Wow! This thread has been going since 2004? :eek:h:

I use Oceanic. No real good reason, other than I like the container it comes in, and I've never had a problem that I could link to it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm really liking my SeaChem Reef Salt. It's more cloudy when it first mixes but clears CRYSTAL clear in short order in the tank. I've noticed some great coral P-E since using this salt mix.

Uslanja

A six year old thread! I just gotta get in on this!!

I use Instant Oceans Reef Crystals. It was the one I started with in the hobby. I always check my water parameters (minimum weekly, sometimes more often just so I know what is going on and everything is recorded in a journal) before a water change and everything is right where it ought to be! So far so good!

Dave & Tracy

kblakely

I use IO/Reef Crystals mainly because that's what my LFS carries and I don't want to pay to ship buckets of salt. I would like to try Tropic Marin if I ever find it in a store, though.

I usually do most of my water tests before a water change (to see worst case scenario). Mainly concerned with Nitrate, ALK/KH and Calcium since everything else is pretty stable.

I don't always do a test to a new mix... but I would suggest it anytime something changes such as a change in salt brand OR a change in your water supply. I occasionally check PH, ALK/KH or Calcium just to make sure they are close to my tank parameters.

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ask your LFS to get some in. That's what I did and now they order it a few buckets at a time.

TomToro

I use Oceanic Salt. It's $50 for 200 gal bucket. It has low alk, high calcium and high Magnesium. Perfect for my probiotic system. No buffering or adjustment needed for my setup.

1Reefer

Reef crystals for me, not as experienced as some others here at RS but I've never had a problem with this salt. If I were to change id probably try the seachem (as I trust als advise)

opiea1c

right now I am using instant ocean in my reef (have to do dosing for corals) but once my 5 gallon bucket is gone I will be switching to either Kent or Reef Crystals to try and eliminate some of the dosing I have to do

rgfast

Sea Chem AquaVitro Salinity this salt mix is batch specific guaranteed analysis. Unlike most salt mix you get each batch is lab tested the present bucket I'm using tested ph 8.5, alk 3.7meg/l, cal 435, mag 1376 and strontium 8.5 this kind of takes the guessing out of what you are going to get aposed to other salts that are mixed in much larger lots. I've tried most all the top brands and have seen diffent results from bucket to bucket. I do at least 40gl a week in water changes for just my dt so I go threw pretty good bit of salt to compare to in my opion

lastlight

I like my Reef Crystals because I only have to dose magnesium to it. At least in buckets I've had calcium and alkalinity were both at elevated levels.

Leaves a brownish residue in my buckets but nothing a quick rinse after won't fix.

Schwa

I have used IO and RC up until now but due to very low Calcium and Magnesium levels in both I am gettin ready to switch to ESV or Aquavitro Salinity. ESV you mix in the Magnesium and calcium yourself and AquaVitro has a batch analysis right on the side of the bucket. Both are about 75 bucks for 200g mix but one good thing about them they base the 200g when its mixed at proper levels if you have ever noticed both IO and RC say it in the instructions that it will make 160g when you mix it to 1.021 sg for the life of me I cant figure out why this is even relevant since that is way too low for proper Seawater levels. Anyone have any ideas why they do this other than to mislead us? If you mix it at proper levels you are really getting about 135-140g in a supposed 160g bucket.