Where to find egg crate?

rostervandross

Hello everyone, I have been looking around for the white "egg crate" building material but I'm not finding anything.. Where do you get yours?

Thanks!

frisbee

Most hardware stores will carry this stuff, but IME it's kind of expensive. You might be better off checking with some of the members of your local club first. (if you have one) GL.

rostervandross

All right 10 4 thanks. I will check out the cost next time i go through one of those stores.

Spiral what are you thinking of using instead?

I am thinking of using it to make a small frag rack as well as to support my skimmer to boost it up a few inches. Maybe I can use some pvc pieces to support the skimmer and cut some plug holes into a left over piece of acrylic if I don't buy any egg crate.

spiraling

Spiral what are you thinking of using instead?
rock rubble.

I have egg crate racks in a 40 breeder where I grow out some corals for trading. I figure having a layer of rock rubble covering the bottom where I can just place the frags would be way better. They can grow out onto other rocks. I can take out pieces to clean off any problem algae.

I have one of the eshopps acrylic racks with magnets too. For a small rack it works well and you can take it out and give it a vinegar soak when it gets dirty. The acrylic attracts algae too, but the smooth surface is a lot easier to clean than all the sides of the egg crate.

I'm not sure what a good way to raise your sump would be. a layer of silicon map would make it quieter, but I doubt has the height you are looking for.