Where are all the reefers

Discussion in 'General Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Basile, Feb 17, 2017.

?

How many friends have left the hobby in your circle of friends.

This poll will close on Feb 17, 2018 at 6:48 AM.
  1. none

2. 1-5

3. 6-10

4. 10-20

5. were're all here

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Basile

Basile Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I was out of the hobby for 10 months for special circumstances, but is it me or people are leaving the hobby.
    I'm saying because out of my 10 hobbyist friends only two of us remain. My LFS says the same thing . How's the hobby in your neighborhood?

Whats going on with the market.......any body knows???

2. chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2 Well-Known Member

I have a local "acquaintance" who is in the hobby. The one friend I had who was in the hobby doesn't live near me any longer. And isn't in the hobby. I do live in the middle of nowhere, so that's partially on me, however, I live near a larger city and about an hour from DC, and it's still tough to find reefers.

3. Florida Sunshine

I was away from RS for a while but never left the hobby.
    I have noticed that there are very few people still posting from before.

Basile likes this.
  4. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

As anyone who has been in the hobby any length of time knows, reef keeping can be very demanding. Many people get into it with out realizing this and give up. May people give up because they do things wrong and end up with tank after tank of very dead fish. Others find the cost is too much for them. Others move on to another aspect of the hobby. I'd say this is typical for the entire aquarium hobby.

As a side note, you'd be surprised how many people on a FW planted tank forum I post on are ex reef keepers. For one reason or another they got out of SW reefs.

Basile likes this.
  5. PSU4ME

PSU4ME JoePa lives on!!!
    RS STAFF

Yeah I think the demands of sw really hit home after a while a fw is the answer for many. I don't have a tank now but am living vicariously through two friends so it's holding me over for now!

Basile likes this.
  6. Oxylebius

Oxylebius Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Is it people leaving the hobby or leaving the forum? I don't have any friends who have coral tanks or SW tanks either. I do know acquaintances met through this forum at conferences and through a local forum met through local meetings. I don't go onto the forums as much now as I used to do. Just too busy. As for my tank, it is still going strong. I have started and stopped my frag tank over the years, but not the DT.

Basile likes this.
  7. AndtheBonus

AndtheBonus Member

I have been away for a while too from RS. I always pop in here and there but have definitely noticed a decrease, at least posts wise. I need to start posting more as well. Have had my new system up and running for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius, Basile and nanoreefing4fun like this.
  8. StirCrayzy

StirCrayzy Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Like many, life gets me all tied up, and I visit RS in short bursts When I can.
    I'll never be out of the SW hobby, its one of the best things I've ever discovered.
    I can understand why many get out, this is not for the faint of heart. but for some of us, it's a part of life and will endure any hardship.

Oxylebius and Basile like this.