Where are all the reefers

Discussion in 'General Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Basile, Feb 17, 2017.

?

How many friends have left the hobby in your circle of friends.

This poll will close on Feb 17, 2018 at 6:48 AM.
  1. none

2. 1-5

3. 6-10

4. 10-20

5. were're all here

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Basile

Basile Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I was out of the hobby for 10 months for special circumstances, but is it me or people are leaving the hobby.
    I'm saying because out of my 10 hobbyist friends only two of us remain. My LFS says the same thing . How's the hobby in your neighborhood?

Whats going on with the market.......any body knows???

Pat24601 likes this.
  2. chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2 Well-Known Member

I have a local "acquaintance" who is in the hobby. The one friend I had who was in the hobby doesn't live near me any longer. And isn't in the hobby. I do live in the middle of nowhere, so that's partially on me, however, I live near a larger city and about an hour from DC, and it's still tough to find reefers.

Pat24601 likes this.
  3. Florida Sunshine

I was away from RS for a while but never left the hobby.
    I have noticed that there are very few people still posting from before.

Pat24601 and Basile like this.
  4. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

As anyone who has been in the hobby any length of time knows, reef keeping can be very demanding. Many people get into it with out realizing this and give up. May people give up because they do things wrong and end up with tank after tank of very dead fish. Others find the cost is too much for them. Others move on to another aspect of the hobby. I'd say this is typical for the entire aquarium hobby.

As a side note, you'd be surprised how many people on a FW planted tank forum I post on are ex reef keepers. For one reason or another they got out of SW reefs.

5. PSU4ME

PSU4ME JoePa lives on!!!
    RS STAFF

Yeah I think the demands of sw really hit home after a while a fw is the answer for many. I don't have a tank now but am living vicariously through two friends so it's holding me over for now!

6. Oxylebius

Oxylebius Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Is it people leaving the hobby or leaving the forum? I don't have any friends who have coral tanks or SW tanks either. I do know acquaintances met through this forum at conferences and through a local forum met through local meetings. I don't go onto the forums as much now as I used to do. Just too busy. As for my tank, it is still going strong. I have started and stopped my frag tank over the years, but not the DT.

7. AndtheBonus

AndtheBonus Member

I have been away for a while too from RS. I always pop in here and there but have definitely noticed a decrease, at least posts wise. I need to start posting more as well. Have had my new system up and running for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius, Basile and nanoreefing4fun like this.
  8. StirCrayzy

StirCrayzy Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Like many, life gets me all tied up, and I visit RS in short bursts When I can.
    I'll never be out of the SW hobby, its one of the best things I've ever discovered.
    I can understand why many get out, this is not for the faint of heart. but for some of us, it's a part of life and will endure any hardship.

Pat24601, Oxylebius and Basile like this.
  9. Squatch XXL

Squatch XXL Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I have very minimal friends IRL. None have SW aquariums, so It is basically me and all the voices in my own head.....and Last I checked we are all still here.

I am so damn busy with family and work that by the time I have free time, it is Monday morning. Getting old is overrated.

Oxylebius and Pat24601 like this.
  10. Pat24601

Pat24601 Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    To me, this is simply the way of almost any forum. People are around for a while, then stuff happens in their life and they aren't. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't. It doesn't mean much except life is change.

I am doing as @DaveK says above in his post. I'm exiting the hobby after 3 years and going to freshwater, but for complex reasons not because saltwater was a disaster. I consider my saltwater excursion a success and I'm very glad I took the plunge and did it. I expect to be back at it when my kids are older and I have time for two tanks.

I actually may start a tank thread for my freshwater experience here since I am using my saltwater equipment and it may be interesting for someone out there to learn from whatever mistakes I'm about to make on converting a reef tank to freshwater.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Oxylebius, Squatch XXL and SPR like this.
  11. SPR

SPR Active Member

Hi Pat
    If you do go Freshwater please start a thread as that would be great to watch and learn the differences between the two etc. I am assuming saltwater is much more complex than Freshwater and I jumped in at the deep end! Enjoy it though.

Update - I see you have started a new thread so thanks for that- following.

12. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I don't have any friends with salt tanks. I had one once 30 years ago and he got out but that's it.
    When I started the hobby it took many years before anyone had a salt tank. I do notice on these forums that most of the people don't last ten years.
    For me it is not a hobby but a way of life. I always had a tank and it is very little maintenance and not very expensive. I guess after enough years you have it figured out so you don't have the problems that force people out of the hobby.

13. Squatch XXL

Squatch XXL Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I think that this describes my mentality totally. Simplicity is key. There are so many contraptions and thingies that people get into buying to accessorize. After a while you could have 2-4 various reactors, bottles of compressed gasses and tons of various pumps pushing water in and out of all sorts of things.

Modified berlin method with a skimmer has always worked. I want my fish tank to work, I don't want to have to work my fish tank.

I have always had an aquarium....Since I was just a little guy....I might have been 8 when mom gave me a 10 gallon to fill with critters from the local creek.

My salt "obsession" started with a standard 29 gallon tank and a friend who assured me that I could not duplicate his external overflow box and make it work. I think part of my "Fun" is creating things on the cheap that work through trial and error. (It worked on the first trial run)

Keeping a SW is really no harder than FW. The only aspect that is "Hard" is mixing up water prior to a water change.

Reefkeeping does not require much more work. Get good lights. Keep up with water changes. Grow coral until it dies or covers everything.

Just like a car or any other thing, the more moving parts something has, the greater the chance of failure.....And never spend more than you can afford to lose.

SPR and Pat24601 like this.
  14. Oxylebius

Oxylebius Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    So true!

Squatch XXL likes this.
  15. Blue Space

Blue Space Well-Known Member

I know I haven't been posting as often as I used to but I'm still around. . . :coffee2:

Oxylebius and nanoreefing4fun like this.