what's your favorite powerhead

clown lover

What does everyone use for water movement in your tanks?
Jebao fit the bill for me when I had had my 90 g up and running, Now I find with the RSM tank the 2 stock pumps give me all I need. In my 33 g frag tank I just use Koralia's.

Coraljunkie

I use to have vortechs but on my new tank i'm trying the jebao rw4. Jebao does a great job and for the price you can't beat it but there is just something about those vortechs that makes me want to go back to them.

pablomay28

Tunze turbelle nano stream is my fave low heat due to low wattage and highly reliable. I had a bad experience with koralia pump spinning backwards then not running at all.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Personally, and I mean my preference from what I've seen and experienced, I would only put vortechs on my tank. No power cords in the water and if they break, they just stop turning. No sucking fish in on reverse, no heat etc etc.

Great pumps at a good price these days

Pat24601

Jebao cant beat the value for money and they are powerful.

I was using the Jebao WP-25 and I thought it did a great job for the money. I now switched to the new(ish) Jebao RW-8 and I like it even better. The RW-8 looks and seems to act more like the vortech. (I don't have a vortech so I can't really compare). Great flow. Wide flow path. Doesn't seem to take to much aiming not to stir up a bunch of sand, capable of syncing, etc.

The motor is water side, which I guess is viewed as a negative, but it's a positive for me and my 20 month old twin boys. Also, noise is completely silent. I don't have temp issues, so heat isn't a problem.

I haven't had any reliability problems with them in the 1 year I've had the tank. Can't speak about longer than that.

And, of course, cost is much, much less compared to vortech.

Great reviews on Amazon too. (There are some negative, but there always are...a 4.4 rating on amazon is really quite good).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMXKO30/?tag=reefsanc-20

Not that I'm doubting the awesomeness of the vortech. While I don't own one, I have no problem believing they are the gold standard. Just a pricey gold standard. That said, the RW-8 moves water around and seems to do it well. I'm not entirely sure what a different wavemaker would do "better", but I'm no expert...

Last edited:

Desmond

The vortech are a great wave maker but at the present time i am happy with rw 4 more than enough for my tank and as you said good controller and no issues with heat. Mind you if vortech want to sponsor me one to go with my new radions i will happily take one lol. I am under orderes now no more spending saving for wedding lol

Benamayer

Loved my Koralias, but since replaced them with 2 Vortech MP10's... Both brands are very good, the premium you pay gets you bells and whistles with the Vortechs.

You say potato, I say french fry.

clown lover

Well I just bought a Vortech mp10qd and added it to my RSM250, I was wrong, needed more flow in the tank and it does the job great. Anyone have suggestions for a replacement skimmer that fits in where the stock one goes? I seem to be having trouble getting this stock unit dialed in. Or does anyone have any tips on getting the stock one working properly, I'm used to the Omega 150 I had on my former set up, it was a breeze, I'm told these stock ones can be a bit of a pain to set up.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Well I just bought a Vortech mp10qd and added it to my RSM250, I was wrong, needed more flow in the tank and it does the job great. Anyone have suggestions for a replacement skimmer that fits in where the stock one goes? I seem to be having trouble getting this stock unit dialed in. Or does anyone have any tips on getting the stock one working properly, I'm used to the Omega 150 I had on my former set up, it was a breeze, I'm told these stock ones can be a bit of a pain to set up.

Hi clown lover, i had the same issues with the stock skimmer on the RSM250, after some research i pushed the button on a Deltec MC500, it fits straight in.

Pros : its quite, it runs cooler than stock skimmer, it skims like you have no idea
Cons: its expensive, the collection cup could be bigger.

Overall IMO its a really good skimmer, do some research and if you have any questions please do not hesitate ask me.

frisbee

I've been using some of those Koralia power heads in my reef tank for the last 6 years or so without any problems. Just to answer the question in general though, those Aquaclear power heads are probably one of the best I've ever come across. They're not very practical for a reef aquarium, but they sure do get the job done. They seem to last forever too. Set it and forget it almost.