Whats is happening to my LR?

sawdeanz

I have about 7 pounds of LR in my 25 gal tank, with an additional 7 lbs of base rock. I'm planning to get much more in a little bit. The LR I already have has some spots that are turning white. When I bought it, it wasn't the best quality but it had some purple stuff on it. Is my LR dying? What do I need to do to keep it healthy looking. I want to know so that I can deside whether I should bother with higher quality LR or just stick with the cheaper stuff. I don't want to pay $6 a lb for something where all the organisms are just going to die.
This small lfs near my house sells really nice rock with all sorts of color and life on it. I would like to get a small amount to seed the other LR in my tank? What do I need to do to keep this color?
Right now I have 2 clownfish, standard lighting, no protein skimmer, if this helps.

The corilline algae is most likey dieing off.Don't worry It will come back,And when it does you will rue the day it ever did.lol

Rcpilot

Has been struck by the ban stick
standard lighting, no protein skimmer, if this helps.

Actually, that doesn't help--not you anyways. :lol:

You need intense lighting for a reef and I don't know very many people who've been succesful at reefkeeping for very long without a skimmer.

Get a GOOD light. Spend MORE money than you want too. You can't do squat in a reef with cheap lights. Ask me how I know. :lol:

And get a NICE skimmer. I won't make any recommendations on equipment, because I simply haven't tried all of it.

Nothing about saltwater is cheap. So, get used to it. I am paying twice as much for my filtration and lighting. Why? Because I bought CHEAP 3 months ago. Now I realize that I should have just spent the good money first. I'd be $400 ahead. That'll buy a lot of nice corals.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Most all LR has some degree of "die-off" depending on state of CURE and mode of transportation. Even the very BEST LR you can buy will have die-off if you don't transport it IN water from store to house.

Just so you know, BASE rock here is $8.99/lb and quality LR is $13.99 lb

Allen

I did'nt notice you don't have a skimmer.Before you buy anything buy that.
If you're running PC light IMHO you're going to be very limited in the corals you keep.It is a good Idea to go as "far" as your wallet/Purse will take you when you by equipment,It will be definetly cheaper in the long run ecspecialy when the acrobug bites.
BTW what size is you tank?

sawdeanz

Thanks for the replies, I'm not attempting a reef tank yet, but I'm using the LR as biological filtration mainly. I was just hoping that there would be a way to preserve the color that it starts off with. Its a fish only tank, 25 gallon.

Techno-Vicki

You can have some nice easy mushrooms in a fish only that will add interest and color to your tank. You don't need a skimmer for them. Or....just go fish only; however, a skimmer is a great addition to any sw tank.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
do water tests for alc,calc, and mag,if they are where they should be, the color will be right back.Steve