whats happening to his gills & back

kyle4201

Ive noticed over the 2 weeks I've had himthat the edge of his Gill plates and the line between his dorsal fin and back is getting black almost. Was not like that when I got him. Any ideas? Is this normal?
20130826_223719_zpsd105770e.jpg

20130826_223719_zpsd105770e.jpg
[/IMG]

Mike Johnson

Only thing I can think of is acclimation stress; which is from changing salinity too quick. It pigments the skin and will go away in a week or two if the fish stays healthy.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm no expert by any stretch but good vitamins and fats in the diet go a long way towards keeping a healthy fish.......not saying he isn't healthy but nutrition is probably the #1 cause for problems from what I see.

What are you feeding him?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Are you adding any vitamins or fats? Brine shrimp, unless thoroughly gut loaded, are not very nutritious. Not sure on the type of pellets you use but in my book, that isn't good nutrition. If you're going to only feed one kind of live (now dead) food, I would choose Mysis shrimp over Brine. NLS pellets are my favorite and i alternate that back and forth with Larry Reef Frenzy.

DaveK

Keep in mind, we are talking about a tang. It should also be fed algae based foods. I've found nori sheets are a good food for them, and you can put part of a sheet on a lettuce clip so the fish can nibble on it all day. You can get nori sheets at most supermarkets. They are the green sheets used to wrap some types of sushi. Feeding the fish with more normal foods soaked in garlic extreme may also help, and has few drawbacks.

I would keep an eye on the fish and if it seems to be getting worse instead of better, consider treating the fish with antibiotics.

kyle4201

I believe it's some kind of Tang, that's what a couple people have told me. I tried feeding at the nor'easter but it won't eat them. I forgot to mention I do feed them 1 out of every three times with the mysis.

frisbee

You might want to incorporate some sort of spirulina based flake food in it's diet as well. (OSI, Ocean Nutrition, Tetra, etc)

My guess would be a juvenile Mimic tang btw.

DaveK

I was thinking that the fish is a Lemon Peel Angel. And my diagnosis was based on that.

Take a look at the base of the tail. The spine there is obvious. Also note the front of the fish. It's an apparent tang profile. I'd guess it was a mimic tang, since it yellow but more elongated, but it's hare to be sure.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I wasn't sure on if it was a tang either. If a tang, definitely feed seaweed. Kyle, can you get a better pic?