What would be the Recommended turnover rate for the differeent types of corals?

dlea

As the title would ask "What would be the Recommended turnover rate for the different types of corals?"

I currently have a 65 gallon tank that has been setup for 4 months now. As to why I still have 1 pathetic 300gph powerhead and the 660 gph return pump (probably 300 gph after travel height) from the sump as my only circulation is beyond me as I know the importance of flow. THAT BEING SAID, I am finally gonna upgrade my flow but I can never find the recommended turnover rate for the different categories of corals.

What's the recommended turnover rate for softies, and hards, and whatever categories you can think of? I saw a JBL ocean stream 2X 500 gph, as everyone knows its a pulse type flow between two 500 gph. I'm sure that's not enough for anything correct? or am I wrong...please tell I'm wrong, lol naw be honest and cruel if have too. In all honest truths I'm perfectly happy with beginner corals such as starburst, button ployps, mushrooms, toadstool, and my favorite XENIAS. And yes, I currently have them all in my tank currently for over two months.

Tank specs: 65 gallon, 30 gallon sump, 110+ live rock, 50 pounds crushed coral, 1x 300gph powerhead, 1 660 gph return pump, 1 toadstool, several xenias, few button polyps, 1x taro tree, 1X mushroom, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1X yellow eye tang, various crabs and snails

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Id say your ok with what you have now unless theres a dead spot somewhere, the problem with big flow is directing it where its not doing more harm than good, softies are good with low flow

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Id stop turning my Corals upside down. Just sayin.

........reefers rock!

dlea

Thank you everyone :) I know I've been signed up on here since last year. I mostly looked and learned, afterall most questions can be answered if a person can just look at through the forums here instead of asking a question that has already been answered :bluenod:

I think I'm going to go with the jbj oceanstream duo wavemaker kit 500gph... worst case scenario if I need more flow I can just upgrade the pump. Last year I had only a 45 bowfront but since I moved into a different apartment I decided to upgrade as well and my gosh does have more gallons make a difference :pBJ:

I hope to be able to contribute more here, and who knows maybe with me doing things differently, it may have different results then what would one imagine :thumber:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Cheers for moving from Lurking to Posting ! Love Vortechs !!!

Alf

I would say what you have is fine for what your keeping currently as well. Of course I hate say you have to have this, you have to have that, there are very few absolutes in this hobby. But If I were to put a # to it from my years of keeping alot of diffrent spieces of coral that 10x turn over rate in side the glass four walls, is usually what I shot for, for most softies and lps. Where you place them in that current can make all the diffrence. I shot for 15 - 20x for sps some say 30x is better. SPS will grow stronger in stronger current IMO. HTH

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thank you everyone :) I know I've been signed up on here since last year. I mostly looked and learned, afterall most questions can be answered if a person can just look at through the forums here instead of asking a question that has already been answered :bluenod:
No reefer is an island lol