what type of coral is this?

bwalker

IMG_0351abc.jpg

i bought a bastomusa coral, and this was growing on the underside of the coral? i took it off and placed it on a rock, it has grown very well since. the head is about the size of a pencil eraser,It feeds on brine shrimp well, it also has a stony skeleton. can anyone help with the discription of what it might be?will it multiply asexually i only have one?

rpreef

that would be a "fungia"......looks like it will be nice when it fully matures. cool blasto's and a hitchiker fungia , not to bad....

lcstorc

Nice HH. Looks like it is in good shape. Should grow up and be nice and happy with you. I really don't know about their reproduction. Interresting question.

cbrownfish

It is unlikely to multiply. Sometimes, old plate coral skeletons will yield babies like yours, over and over. Otherwise, you can cut mature Fungia up and frag them if you know what you are doing. They come in many different color patterns.....here is one I have (the tentacles were always very short but in recent days they have grown long)--

2806387106_c038c93069.jpg

SubRosa

When we first opened a bit over a year ago we brought in two pieces of dead Fox Coral skeleton that were colonized with what I think were identical Fungias to the one you found. The largest had skeletons the size of a quarter and the smallest were maybe 1/4". I kept the largest in our display tank. It's grown quite a bit since then! I'll post pics of it after the weekend as I actually get a weekend off for a change!

John

P.S. Nice Acan!

bwalker

thank you all for the replys on the type of coral i have here. i agree it does look like a fungia, but it is not flat on the bottom side of the coral, it has a stalk that comes up like a candycane,or a frogspawn, so would that also be a kind of fungia? thanks again for all your help with this neat creature

reefer4200

When we first opened a bit over a year ago we brought in two pieces of dead Fox Coral skeleton that were colonized with what I think were identical Fungias to the one you found. The largest had skeletons the size of a quarter and the smallest were maybe 1/4". I kept the largest in our display tank. It's grown quite a bit since then! I'll post pics of it after the weekend as I actually get a weekend off for a change!

John

P.S. Nice Acan!

My local LFS has a "mother" plate or fungia coral that is identical to that and it just pops them out weekly. crazy. And they range in size as sub said. Some have grown since ive watched and are getting fairly large. nice HH

Frankie

RS STAFF
It is a fungia but hard to ID at that small size. I could ID it if you got a skeleton shot without the tentacles extruded like that.

cbrownfish

thank you all for the replys on the type of coral i have here. i agree it does look like a fungia, but it is not flat on the bottom side of the coral, it has a stalk that comes up like a candycane,or a frogspawn, so would that also be a kind of fungia? thanks again for all your help with this neat creature

Fungia do not just start growing on the sand one day. They do originate from a stalk and then later break free. Many/most plate corals have a bump on the bottom where they were formerly attached (kinda like a navel I suppose). As they mature, the skeleton begins to grow and become more pronounced. The juveniles often appear more fleshy like this one.