What Starfish would you recommend

Brownkyle104

Hello,

I've had a 125Gal Saltwater tank that has been running for over 2 months. I would like to add a starfish to my tank. I was wondering what would be the best starfish to add when having a reef tank with Tang, Clownfish?

Blue Space

It is great for cleaning the sand... However, I don't recommend adding that critter to a 2 month old tank. I'm not saying you couldn't keep it alive, but chances are it wouldn't thrive in month old sand. Better to add it after the tank has been established for a while and there is plenty of detritus built up. Otherwise, there's a good chance it may starve to death.

There are plenty of other reef safe critters to add but to start with you don't need a massive clean-up crew. Your tank is going to go through "the uglies" for a while as part of the natural process. Best way to deal with that is water changes for now.

What else is in the tank now? What fish do you plan to add?

Brownkyle104

I agree, Definitely thinking of adding a starfish later on once it matures. Right now I have a Blue Regal tang, Purple tang, 2 clowns, 1 Black clown, and a longnose butterfly. Everyone seems to be healthy and happy.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think I’d hold off on any starfish now, get yourself a good clean up crew from reefcleaners.org @johnmaloney and let them, the tang and nature do its thing. Your tank is still setting up so letting it find it’s balance and build some life is the best way.

Concentrate your time on a good maintenance schedule :)

Blue Space

I agree, Definitely thinking of adding a starfish later on once it matures. Right now I have a Blue Regal tang, Purple tang, 2 clowns, 1 Black clown, and a longnose butterfly. Everyone seems to be healthy and happy.
Sounds like a nice collection of fish already, Kyle. Have you started planning what kind of coral you'd like to keep?