What RS is really about . . .

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Allen (bigal07) is still around !!! ... life just gets busy sometime and takes priority... here's best wishes for all the "missing" RS members that life will sort & they can find more RS time soon !

I miss Allen's great post on a regular basis too !

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just a :bump: for anyone new or visiting RS

Reef Sanctuary is a real Sanctuary of reef forums ! Did you know when Teri & Travis started RS & picked the name RS that was the thought... how cool is that !

No flames here only a real Sanctuary of forums

Therapy

Actually, I was here for that. When the RAG got stupid. I accompanied Teri as a Mod there. It can get touchy and it is critical to having people post ANY questions and not have people try to be the site EXPERT by putting down others. Wish you the best of luck here. Treat it like a party where you are talking face to face. The net seems to bring out unfavorable conversation that would not happen in real face to face life.

Reef on.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
We can argue best methods, equip, etc... and there sure is more than one successful way to run a swt.

We can counter what one considers bad advise, in a way that does not attack the person, that is what makes RS special.

Treating one another like a we were having face to face conversations is great advise & what almost all RS members do, unlike some reefing forums...

Witfull

been a long time since ive been here. life has taken its toll and tried to kill me, but i prevailed. still have my tank but sold off everything except Jr. my Hawaiian Zebra eel.

for those that dont know me, i was one of the founders and former Co-Admin of RS with Travis, Teri, Doni and a few others that came from another site that shall not be named. my best wishes to my old friends and hope all is well.

RS was founded on friendship and kindness. as the name says, a Sanctuary.

Jtaylor

First day here on forum. So nice to hear people committed to a respectful and kind dialogue. This is especially true for me having posted what might be a stupid question about where to find a new glass top for my 36 gallon tank.
Ps. Another neophyte comment. It occurred to me that I should replace all my plastic plants with real organic plants. I did that two years ago and, while this may sound silly, my fish seem happier, more lively and none have died in a long, long time.

DaveK

First day here on forum. So nice to hear people committed to a respectful and kind dialogue. This is especially true for me having posted what might be a stupid question about where to find a new glass top for my 36 gallon tank.
Ps. Another neophyte comment. It occurred to me that I should replace all my plastic plants with real organic plants. I did that two years ago and, while this may sound silly, my fish seem happier, more lively and none have died in a long, long time.
I'm going to assume you have a FW tank, if your talking about plastic plants verses live plants.

I'm a big fan of planted FW tanks, but if your really going to get good results, you will need good light, good fertilization methods and a good substrata. This is not as bad as it sounds. I don't know if the light that you got with that tank is up to the task or not. You can always try it and if it doesn't work out, consider replacing it. Fertilization isn't difficult, but can be a tricky subject, since there are several generally accepted ways of doing it. Getting into this is a bit beyond a short reply here, but it can be continued in another thread. Substrata is whatever gravel or other material your using on the bottom of the tank. Depending on the species of plants you want, you may need to use root tabs to fertilize rooted plants. Amazon swordplants are noted for needing this.

Also with live plants, you want to be careful of the fish you add. Some are notorious plant eaters, other like to dig in the substrata, digging up you plants. One last thing to be careful of, some of plants sold today as being for aquarium use are not really true aquatic plants, and not really suited for use in a planted tank. Over time they will die. Careful check each species you plan to add.