What RS is really about . . .

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have accounts on all of the popular marine forums..... I don't remember the passwords tho... if that gives y'all a hint of where I hang out... lol.. this is a great family here... very well put AL

Brandon78

Agreed. This is an awesome site. I havent been here very long but I feel like I have, just because how laid back and friendly everyone here is. I spend more time on this chatting than I do on facebook lol.

engineer goby

Agreed. This is an awesome site. I havent been here very long but I feel like I have, just because how laid back and friendly everyone here is. I spend more time on this chatting than I do on facebook lol.

Same here Brandon, I spend more time on here then I do with my wife, dog, son or Tank.

Well said AL great to be a part of your extended reefer family

lethal

Great words Al and I couldn't agree more. I choose to hang out here because of the friendly members and great advice. And for a good ole laugh :).

dmatt88

To give u n idea of the people we have here. Those of u who know me know we had a loss in our group leaving a 16 yr old gal without a mom n dad. Its my daughters pal. I got 3 pms asking if they could donate to a college fund or a fund for her. Seriously? Where else. Good folks. U all know who u r. Its the people that make rs special.

........wet floors add character.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
To give u n idea of the people we have here. Those of u who know me know we had a loss in our group leaving a 16 yr old gal without a mom n dad. Its my daughters pal. I got 3 pms asking if they could donate to a college fund or a fund for her. Seriously? Where else. Good folks. U all know who u r. Its the people that make rs special.

........wet floors add character.

Its the things like this that really makes RS stand out in the crowd. It really is a very tight and caring group.

:hug1:

DaveK

First of all I want to say this isn't directed at one person or group of people. I've noticed a "Trend" over the last few months and I just wanted to put this out there so we're all reminded of what a great place this is.

I want to try and convey to everyone at RS to remember what makes us different than most other forums on the web. We all know what "other" forums I'm talking about and why we're not hanging out at those places. When you go "there" you get ridiculed for asking simple questions, you get slammed for a less than perfect answer and you get banned for not "going with the flow".

That's pretty much the opposite of what we have here at RS. We genuinely care about each other and have a deep rooted desire to not only help but to TEACH and NURTURE each other so that the community as a whole grows. We are known around the whole internet as a place that's friendly and helpful. We are known because we "meet people where they are and help them to grown and learn". We may not know all of the chemistry and biology that goes on inside the tank but we know how to make up water, do water changes and take care of beginner and advanced husbandry skills in our tanks and most of all we care about each other as individuals and not just Keyboard Warriors.

Let's not forget we ALL started at the same place and we have all made many mistakes (I think I've made them all a FEW times over). I'm as guilty as the next person for getting frustrated but when that happens it's just time to take a step back and get a fresh breath of air (go do a 95% water change LOL). Then come back realizing we're here to help foster not only the hobby as a whole but the camaraderie and relationships that this hobby brings to us.

Excellent post!

I'd like to add a few things. We do really want everyone have a successful aquarium system. More often than I'd like to, I have to make a post that tells someone that they are making major mistakes. I really don't like to write such posts, but some things must be said. Try not to take any post personally, but if you do receive a personal attack, report it so the administrators can deal with it.

Also, it never hurts to check previous posts on the subject, especially if your question or problem is a common one. While we are all happy to answer any question, you can often get a much faster and complete answer by searching previous posts. Subject such as lighting, algae, common diseases have been talked about many times, typically there will already be plenty of information.

dmatt88

I hear ya buddy. I'm not a fan of grouper anyway. :D

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

StirCrayzy

Excellent post!

I'd like to add a few things. We do really want everyone have a successful aquarium system. More often than I'd like to, I have to make a post that tells someone that they are making major mistakes. I really don't like to write such posts, but some things must be said. Try not to take any post personally, but if you do receive a personal attack, report it so the administrators can deal with it.

Also, it never hurts to check previous posts on the subject, especially if your question or problem is a common one. While we are all happy to answer any question, you can often get a much faster and complete answer by searching previous posts. Subject such as lighting, algae, common diseases have been talked about many times, typically there will already be plenty of information.

Great point Dave!
Ive noticed that not many people take things the wrong way.
i dont read many hostile responses to what may seem harsh reality checks.

I claim that as a testament to the environment we have here.
:clink: Cheers to any newbies who dont get offended! :thumbup:

Doogle

The thing that makes this a great place is the people. Thank you everyone who moderates and to the contributors for keeping the site going. The only thing that keeps this site a step above the rest is the compassion and genuine caring of our members, it only takes one time to make someone think this is just another forum, and to make yourself look like a jerk. We don't want to hurt the site like other site's members do. Often I have seen that some people who have been doing this awhile forget that there is no one way to enjoy this hobby and no one is wrong for doing it different and everyone started out the same- yearning for information and gain to experience in all aspects one can get it. It's on all of us to maintain the Sanctuary to it's rightful name, anything less is a disservice to the site and the people who are here for help.

Built347

I agree.. well put Doogle. I can vouch for the sanctuary aspect here.. its a cache of people who don't have time for the drama found elsewhere... just flat out good people here... the atmosphere really motovates you to be as helpful and giving as possible.. because of this forum my network of people I consider friends has shot across the country, and a few over seas... I would like to say thankyou all for your time and advise and if there is ever anything I can help with don't hesitate... I am indebted to this sanctuary and its amazing members...

blackwater

wow +1 i should have made this my first read when i joined. at first i was nervous about sounding like an idiot for asking very basic questions, but after reading through other threads i felt everyone is very nice here and knows we all gotta start some where.
i deal in similar situations at work when a new kid fresh out of high school starts with us. some are very scared to ask questions because they think that they will get made fun of. well i was not born a mechanic, i had to learn it, and to do so by asking questions.....lots of them. its a must. on the other side we get some in that think they know everything only to feel overwhelmed when they really have to do something. bottom line...there's nothing wrong with not knowing something, but claiming to know everything is. you never stop learning.

just my 2 cents.

dmatt88

wow +1 i should have made this my first read when i joined. at first i was nervous about sounding like an idiot for asking very basic questions, but after reading through other threads i felt everyone is very nice here and knows we all gotta start some where.
i deal in similar situations at work when a new kid fresh out of high school starts with us. some are very scared to ask questions because they think that they will get made fun of. well i was not born a mechanic, i had to learn it, and to do so by asking questions.....lots of them. its a must. on the other side we get some in that think they know everything only to feel overwhelmed when they really have to do something. bottom line...there's nothing wrong with not knowing something, but claiming to know everything is. you never stop learning.

just my 2 cents.

I still sound like an idiot but fortunately many people on here are my friends. Big difference is now they tell me that.

Don't u, guys n gals.......:D:p

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez