What pumps for small sump for 29g ?

Doogle

What pumps and costs are in making a small sump for a 29g. New to sumps n pumps is it even worth it?

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
For that small of a sump, for a FOWLR system, I'd say you could get away with a maxi-jet pro. The biggest model, 1200, goes for anywhere of $20-$40 online. This isn't the top of the line return pump, but it will work pretty decently. Any other name brand pumps, Rio, enheim, or mag drive I'd say you're looking at around $50 or so.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

ChrisOaty

I'm guessing you'd only have room for a standard 20g or 10g tank for a sump, which leaves you pretty limited on pump selection as too much flow will likely produce microbubbles without perfect planning. If the stand is low, I agree with sk8rdn and his suggestion of the maxi-jet 1200. I'm using that currently on a small 10g nano/10g sump setup. With the maxi-jet you'll probably need more flow within the display tank though if you plan on keeping coral. Maybe a coralia nano would do the trick. Drilled overflow is always safest but there are hang-on-back overflows from a few reputable online retailers as well. As far as costs, a new coralia nano might run you about 30 bucks (much cheaper on CL or this forum used). A 10gal sump you can probably find on CL too for dirt cheap. Pick up some silicone, glass cutter and a plate of glass at HD for about 10 bucks total and build your baffles. If you decide you want to drill your tank, I'd suggest drilling the back and using a kit from Glass-Holes.com. They can set you up with a kit sized for your tank that includes the hole saw, overflow, bulkheads, and even the plumbing. I've drilled a tank with water and livestock in it before, but I emptied out 3/4 of the water into a temporary container to reduce stress on the glass while it's being drilled. Good luck!

Doogle

Wow cool. Ya a 10g laying around here might end up a sump but I think I'm gonna start with a canister and work up to it, seems like a lot for the extra few gallons . That's all yer really gonna gain in a 10g right, a few extra gals of water?

sk8rdn

Doogle said:
Wow cool. Ya a 10g laying around here might end up a sump but I think I'm gonna start with a canister and work up to it, seems like a lot for the extra few gallons . That's all yer really gonna gain in a 10g right, a few extra gals of water?

That may be a fair assessment, but consider that 5 gallons (a half filled sump) is one sixth the amount of you display tank. Almost 20% extra water volume...
If your taxes went up 20% you wouldn't think it was a small amount! Lol.
Either way, its your choice, but understand all the pit falls to whatever system you go with.

sk8rdn

You think it's better than getting a skimmer?

If the issue you are having is costs, and are only planning on one or the other, yes, I believe the sump is a better way to go. A canister, it's required flow, and a protein skimmer is gonna cost as much as, if not more than, a sump and skimmer.
All you are really looking at is a 10 gallon tank (I believe you said you had one..), maybe $20 worth of glass/silicone, and a pump (say $30-$50). Total: $70. A canister filter is going to be that amount alone. Plus skimmer. Either way, a well built skimmer should be around the higher range in price. Obviously high price doesn't equal quality, but it's close.
As I said, the choice is yours, but consider that a skimmer can go in a sump, and it is not required at start up. Filtration (mechanical and biological) is. Consider skimmers like waxing your car. It wont do a lot of good if you haven't washed the car first. Does that make any sense? That pretty well the best way I can describe it.
I'd say, sump, and later skimmer. If you go canister, then that will be the bulk of your investment, and wont allow funds for a skimmer either. Not to mention, it will be more money when/if you do "upgrade" to a sump. I'd hate to see you spend precious money on equipment repeatedly for the sake of convenience.

Built347

Yes sump first.. then Skimmer whenever u can.. you can just flip through all of the build threads on rs and see that a sump is high priority to 99% of people... and there is endless options on pumps... the cheapest/Most reliable/most available pump I have experience with is the marineland mags... the 400gph with a gate valve would be perfect for u if u need it cheap.. I think there like 45$.. I use one for moving water around the fish room from tank to sink.. mixer to sick tank.. etc.. works well..

DaveK

I diagree in part with some of the previous posts.

For a 29 gal tank, a sump is going to be marginal. Not that it will not help, but the benifits are just not that big. This is especially true if you consider costs. Now if we were talking about a much larger display tank, then using a sump would be the only serious way to go.

I would also invest in a good skimmer before a sump. A skimmer is going to do a much better job of removeing waste products from the water. Canister filters and sumps don't do this nearly as well. A skimmer removes the waste products from the system. Look at all that glop in the collection cup. Canister filters and sumps keep all that glop in the system until you clean them.

Maxi Jet powerheads are a good pump for circulation, but are only fair for a return pump. Mag pumps, while similar in design are a lot better, and not that much more expensive. Eheim pumps are excellent, but expensive for what you get. I'm not much of a fan of Rio or Seio pumps and tend to avoid those.

Built347

If you have plans for a sump.. isn't buying a hob Skimmer kindof like buying the fish before the fish tank.. if u start with a sump you have your foundation in place and then you can add as you go... nobody said that a sump will outperform a Skimmer.. just that it is a better start..

....pingpong anyone?....

Doogle

Ok that could be doable, I was kinda under the impression that the pumps cost a lot and I'm still unsure about me drilling my tank but I don't care fore the cheap suction draw hang on overflows. I have 3 new canister filters laying around from Christmas. Rena xp3 will go on the 35 hex for my big a black Moore goldfish plus I got him a buddy last night. Gonna set up the hex's can filter tonight and move the fish and clean up the 29g. I wI'll get argonite sand tomorrow .Sweet!

Doogle

Still wanting to get things started so thinking of using a fluval 205 canister untill I get a sump going. Should be fine right? Also how hard is it to go reef from a fowler?

Built347

Once you set the tank up undrilled. You have pretty much doubled if not tripled your work when you decide to drill it and set up an o-flow.

Doogle

Really hmm . I know I'd do a sump 4sure if I was doing a larger tank. Since its small and my first time I'm a little apprehensive I guess. For my money I kinda wanna learn slowly and I know I'm gonna learn the hard way but hope to minimize it you know? So if starting with a canister and then upgrading later a skimmer and 4xt5 lights could I start a small reef without too much of a problem?

Built347

Absolutely.. I've seen some pretty basic setups be successful. As well as some pretty messed up situations where everything is still alive.. we aren't telling you that what you want wont work.. were just telling you from our experiences that doing it properly from the start will save you from regrets and avoidable high maintenance to the system later on..

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
Absolutely.. I've seen some pretty basic setups be successful. As well as some pretty messed up situations where everything is still alive.. we aren't telling you that what you want wont work.. were just telling you from our experiences that doing it properly from the start will save you from regrets and avoidable high maintenance to the system later on..

+1
Again, its your choice, your fish, your tank, and your maintaince. We are only suggesting the most popular methods and equipment first. You CAN use what you got, especially if it's already laying around. But in my opinion, in the long run a sump is easier if set up from the start.
Just my opinion, though.

Doogle

I believe you fOr sure. I got my. XP3 in the hex up and running, so I will be looking on Craigslist for sumps pumps etc. I have another 29g that I could try drilling first or if not I guess get a predrilled tank. The hang on overflows are crap right ? I might get it started with the live rock in one tank and drill the other one while I'm waiting to seed the rest of the rock. One of my stands doesn't quite fit a 10g in it( it hangs out the back , cheap Walmart aqua culture stand) finally getting it started !

Built347

I dont have any experience with hob overflows. Im assuming that they all rely on siphon tho..

Doogle

Ya I'm kinda unsure about them.. Need to learn more I guess, but for the price you might as well drill it .? Anyway if I can't fit a skImmer in it it's not gonna have all the advantages it could for me for this setup .

Built347

Ya I'm kinda unsure about them.. Need to learn more I guess, but for the price you might as well drill it .? Anyway if I can't fit a skImmer in it it's not gonna have all the advantages it could for me for this setup .

You can for sure fit an appropriatly sized Skimmer in there.