What new wave maker/water pusher should I get? options,,,

kyle4201

Well, its time to upgrade. I found a [h=3]ECOTECH VORTECH 40 almost new for $380.[/h]Jesus these are expensive. Are they really worth that much money?

I would like the fact that they have the motor on the outside,, are there any others like this? Im so tired of my suction cup ones falling every few months. and for that much money I would like 2, 1 for each side. I have no problem spending that much money but Id like a little more. Possible?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've never used one but there are some good reviews out there of the Jebaos. I say give them a try and let us know how you like them.

DaveK

If you want the best random flow patterns there really is no substitute for the EcoTech VorTech or the Tunze Stream 2 controllable pumps and controller. Either of these setup will set you back close to $1000 by the time you get 2 pumps, and with the Tunze units, a controiler.

Is it worth it? Well, people that have either of them tend to think the world of them. I happen to have the Tunze setup. I like them a lot, but consider this. The "bargain units" like the Jebao or the JBJ Oceanstream are far from bad, and come in at a much lower price. I use the JBL pumps and controller on my FW planted tank for some deep circulation.

The bottom line, if you want the very best regardless of price, then go with the EcoTech VorTech or the Tunze setups. If you want good water flow at a much lower price, go with the Jebao or the JBJ or something similar.

reefer gladness

Yes, the Vortechs are worth the money but I wouldn't buy one used. They are sensitive to hard knocks, the magnets can become mis-aligned and make the pump noisy so without the warranty I wouldn't risk it. One of my Vortechs was damaged in shipping and the customer service was great, they RMA'd the entire unit and sent a replacement out immediately.

The Vortech's have a much wider stream than anything out there and the undertow they create does a good job of eliminating dead spots lower in the tank. They keep the heat out of the tank and the electrical cords too, the heater and the skimmer are the only 2 cords submerged in my tank. There's no other pump with the same design, it's patented.

Don't be fooled by the attempt of Jebao using similar sounding names as the Vortech pumps like WP-40, they are Tunze knock-offs. Not that there's anything wrong with the Tunze but if you're looking to compare the Jebao models to anything compare them to the Tunze models they copied.

Mike Johnson

I have been using the Jebao pumps on one of my tanks for over a year now, they have been very reliable. One down side is they have to be cleaned more often than the Vortechs, but, still they are very quiet and reliable.

kyle4201

I have been using the Jebao pumps on one of my tanks for over a year now, they have been very reliable. One down side is they have to be cleaned more often than the Vortechs, but, still they are very quiet and reliable.

I saw there is no speed control. I also saw some 1 used a variable output power supply. How do u manage? And do u think 1 40 would b good 4 my 90g?

Akshay

Have been using the Jebao WP 40. Very reliable and no noise.
Also the settings are quiet nice.
Had run it on the W1 mode before, but the wave tends to get quiet big and its too much flow for the xenias.
Running it on the "else" .. reef stream mode now and one pump is good enough for the entire tank.
I run it at 50% as mine is primarily a softie/lps setup...so need a gentler flow than a sps setup.