What Kind of WORM?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You'd think in a 2&1/2 year old tank, I would have already seen and ID'd all my hitchhikers. :confused:
Saw this one just today & got a picture before it disappeared.
Any ideas WHAT it is & How to get rid of it if I need to? :fishy:
image.jpg
image.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm uploading a video....kinda cool that it came back & let me video it eating.
Stay tuned, it vanishes so quick that whatever it is, most likely I can't catch it anyway. :confuseded:

Oxylebius

Di -- what was it eating? What did its head look like, hope you caught that in the vid.

Have you added anything new to the tank that this worm may have hitchhiked on?

BTW - if you haven't had any issues with your corals, mobile inverts, and fish in the past year, then I'd say that this worm isn't a threat and you can let it be. :grouphug5:You've got a nice group of critters in your tank, including this poor little worm. :smile:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Nope, have not added anything in a very long time.
I think it must be munching on either pods or micro-film algae on the glass.
This video was clearer in person than it looks on YouTube.
Here's what I video'd anyway:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
His head is just a little yellow spot on the top of him.
Being that skinny, makes me not so worried about if he's a bad guy.
Surely he can't do too much harm :dunno:

Oxylebius

Based on its feeding, seems perfectly happy eating film algae. And since you haven't had any issues with snails missing, coral being munched or anything else, I'd say that this worm isn't anything to worry about.

Great vid!!

Possibly a Dorvilleidae?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Based on its feeding, seems perfectly happy eating film algae. And since you haven't had any issues with snails missing, coral being munched or anything else, I'd say that this worm isn't anything to worry about.

Great vid!!

Possibly a Dorvilleidae?

Thanks Sue & everyone who replied. I hope this tall skinny worm doesn't fill out & grow longer. Unless I see him again & he looks like he has grown big enough to bite me, I'm going to assume he is a "cool little critter" and leave him as part of the CUC in my tank. Not like there's much choice as fast as he moves when scared anyway.

I looked at the Dorvilleidae and the body shape doesn't taper on this one like it looks to on that one. I have never seen the tail end so really I don't know how long this skinny booger is. He is hanging out in the corner where there is lots more algae on the glass & Copepods are, so good chance that all he wants.
Now I'm going to be on "worm watch" to see if he has any relatives. :cool: