What kind of bin to hold water?

Hope this is the right thread to post this in.

I want to start keeping pre-made saltwater in a garbage can or a large bin. I have heard many things about this with either the black or white colored bins leaking chemicals into the water? So i dont want to go out and buy anything if its going to do damage. Whats a good garbage can brand that does not harm the water? Or is there just something the garbage can is made out of that i should watch out for? Thanks for any help.

Willie McDaries

some containers are not food grade and will leach out chemicals from the plastic,those that aren't food grade are not aquarium safe.....

I have read that the brute cans weren't safe either but I used 1 for years with no ill effects,that I'm aware of.....

I found some recycled food barrels at a local roadside store for less than $20,it fit beside my tank much better than the brute did,it is heavier guage plastic with a sealable lid and it holds 38 gallons,it's perfect for holding water in...unfortunately,I didn't take any pics of it and where it's at now,I can't get a good pic of it

DaveK

Yes, there is a thread on RC about Brute trash cans being unsafe. I do find it questionable because so many people have used Brute trash cans for years with out issue.

I will say that the container should be cured first. Fill it with water, add cheep rock salt to get to a SG about equal to your tank, let stand a day or two, rinse and repeat if you can still smell that new plastic chemical smell.

My friend is going to get me a 100 gallon barrel from his work that they use for holding car wash soap. He says its thick plastic. Do you think if i rinse it out really good i will be able to use that as a water holder? I am unsure about this and would rather be safe than sorry.

jpsika08

I wouldn't do it, probably some soap or other chemicals have impregnated on the barrel's plastic.