What is this Nasty Monster worm?

music man

677eedb75b8597f449eaa82e6465f9840448.jpeg

Sorry for the Kindergarten Pic.

I seen this Monster in the sandbed last night I could'nt get a pic of it, it moved a million miles an hour getting away from me, the pic I drew is about 6" of it, the piece I seen dart away must have been 6-10" easy. this morning I found one of my margarita snails empty. one of the mushrooms in the tank looks like it may have a small area missing too. would a worm like this do that?

what is it?

do I need a photo? or does anyone recognize the monster from my crayola art?

the color is fairly good representation, the worm appeard to be flat and about 1/4" wide with 1/8" "saw teeth" down each side.

I realy doubt that I could photograph this beast since it seems to be extreemly light sensitive.

should I pannic and strip the tank down? it's not a "malasian fire breathing dragon worm" or something is it? :) say it aint' so

Thanks

Cougra

Ahhh, Attack of the Crayola Monster! Quick panic and run for the hills! :yup:

Seriously though, I can't say that I recognise the monster you have drawn, perhaps someone else will be more inspired! On the whole bristle worms aren't that bad to have, however I don't know about the larger ones.

What else do you have in the tank?

music man

1ab3a6b5d1da2df54436aab6928249db724e.jpeg

Yea! That's it. only skinny and long, probably stretches out to move fast.

I thought bristle worms were small little scavengers that crawl around in the sand basicly keeping out of sight. I had no idea they were so closely resemblant to monsters.

I can't sleep at night knowing that thing is in the house what if it crawls in my ear?:bouncebox

Thanks for the FAST ID

I have a few blue legged hermits did they eat the snail they are tiny only about 1/4" the snail is twice the size.

the only fish are a skunk clown and 2 cromis.

Cougra

SERIOUS WARNING!! DO NOT TOUCH THAT WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!!!!!!!!!

That is known as a fire worm and it really does hurt a LOT if you pick it up with your hands! I've done it once and now have a mortal dread of bristle worms! Use long tongs to take it out of the tank and big thick disposable lether gloves. Make sure that you don't come into contact with any area that was exposed to those bristles! SHUDDER, I'm going to have nightmares about that experience tonight!

reefjitsu

Yea! That's it. only skinny and long, probably stretches out to move fast
If it is long and skinny then it is not one like the picture above. I suspect that you probably have one of the more common and harmless types of bristle worm and not a fireworm.

jwaynet

Agree with reefjitsu, sounds like you've got the harmless type.
They're generally regarded as beneficial scavengers - I've got quite a few in my tank.
If you think that's scary, just wait till you see one when it transforms into an epitoke (reproductive form of the bristle worm)
About the same size as the normal worm but with no color or bristles - bit like a fat piece of spaghetti!
They go swimming madly around the tank in a spiral fashion till they bump into a rock or something then disintegrate into nothing - well a lot of very small gametes.
Didn't half give my wife a shock when she saw one the other night.
You have been warned.... ;-)

Jeff
UK

Vanquish

Still probably a fire worm...stretched out in action... I would wear golves from not on if I were you... there are simple traps you can use to trap the fella anyway... ;)

Vanquish

Still probably a fire worm IMO.... I would wear gloves fron now if I were you... there are simple traps you can use to trap the fella anyway... ;)

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
A photo would be nice. Your drawing does look like a fireworm, noted for their color. A Bearded Firewrom gets up to 1 foot but normally 4-6 ". Look for the white tuffs bundles that stick out all along the sides in rows. A + ID for a firewrom. These are what hurt you

Here is a group of them

IMG_1010.JPG

A single

23.jpg

BoomerD

BristleWorm.jpg

That's a pic of the more common bristleworm. Judging from your drawing, I'd suspect that is what you saw. Not nearly as bad as the fireworm pictured above, but will still let you know if you touch it...

BoomerD

Craig Manoukian said:
Awesome detrivores and sand stirrers. I've never had a problem with bristle worms, but have never encountered a fire worm.

And I hope I NEVER do...

Cougra

Craig Manoukian said:
Awesome detrivores and sand stirrers. I've never had a problem with bristle worms, but have never encountered a fire worm.
I hope that you never do as well! They really do hurt a lot! I mean extreme pain and agony, enough to keep you paranoid for a long long time! If in doubt WEAR GLOVES!!

music man

p_069_s.jpg

What a nasty monster that is

Thanks for that post boozeman now I can realy have nightmares, that worm is bigger than the whole tank, I do think it is probably the longer harmless type since it looks like it, I have seen smaller versions cruizing aroung the tank and had no fear, this monster was just quite alot bigger.

I should 86 the blue leg hermits probably since they are most likely the buggers that have eaten on my mushrooms and snail.