What is this? and should i get rid of it.

Discussion in 'General Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Elias, Apr 27, 2019.

Tags:
?

Remove it?

1. yes

66.7%
  2. no

33.3%
  1. Elias

Elias New Member

Recently put up lights in this aquarium after curing the live rock for 2 months, so basically i've seen nothing like this on my rocks before i set up the lights, it's growing fairly fast as well.

Attached Files:

2. nanoreefing4fun

nanoreefing4fun Well-Known Member
    RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    hard to see and make out... maybe red bubble algae ?

3. Uncle99

Uncle99 Well-Known Member

Agreed, Red macro algae, remove it, your right, it will
    Grow fast, then difficult to get rid of.

4. Sidvicious

Sidvicious New Member

Absolutely before it takes over and you've got a serious problem as a result. Phosphates are probably on the high side. Chemipure elite and water changes can really help. Also what kind of lights are you running?

5. Elias

Elias New Member

The Phosphates are low in this tank "i've tested for them" since it's a very new tank with very little to add phosphate and nitrates, it's also a Triton tank that removes most phosphate and nitrates although the Triton "Refugium" is a 7 liter media cylinder with light strips around it, since the tank is so underpopulated it's fine for now. in fact it's so uninhabited that i only have two sea hares and 1 tiny coral witch is doing just fine. as for the lights, it's 4x80watt bulbs in a tank with measurements 150x50x60, i plan to add more corals slowly over time, ofc i will have a very small amount of fish in the aquarium, mostly just cleanup crews and pest eaters so it's going to be a very low critter and high amounts of corals. i should also add that even though it's a "Triton tank" i do have a skimmer that's appropriate for the tank size.

Basically the reason i'm having algae problems is that the lights in the tank are completely out competing the lights in the refugium. anyways, thanks everyone for the info, i will try to remove the algae by hand and improve on the refugium some more.

As of this moment i've turned of 2 of the 80 watt bulbs, we will see if the algae reactors lights will out compete the 2 80 watt bulb.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    nanoreefing4fun likes this.