What is this?!! Also fish deaths.

fhcichlidss

So i recently upgraded my lights and noticed this! Its been here for about 3 weeks but just started growing! I guess it likes the.new lights! But im not sure if.its safe. I actually lost a lot of fish recently. (2 clowns, a blue hippo tang, 2damsels, a yellow tang, and a.blenny.) i dont know.why! Maybe ich. But could this be the cause.

DaveK

We can't really tell what "this" is. I think you need 5 posts to be able to post a picture.

We'd need to know a lot more information to diagnose why your loosing fish. Loosing that many fish that fast does indicate a major problem.

fhcichlidss

We can't really tell what "this" is. I think you need 5 posts to be able to post a picture.

We'd need to know a lot more information to diagnose why your loosing fish. Loosing that many fish that fast does indicate a major problem.
I have a 55 gal with lots of rock (80+ lbs) and its.strange because my more delicate things (cleaner shrimp, starfish) are acting perfect. My.fish did come.down with ich.cuz.i saw it. I medicated but my tang died last night after. That im left with 3margarita snails 2 mex turbo snails 1 yellow tang 1 blue damsel 1 striped damsel a cleaner shrimp and a starfish. The ones left lookvery happy and i just did a huge 30% wc today in efforts to.help. i also added some.coral frags today.( i dipped em) water looks clean and all my corals are.fine. what.could it be? Any questions? Please help

fhcichlidss

How long has the tank been set up? Sounds like a lot of big fish for a 55
Its been up for about 6 months. The fish that died were relatively new. Only ones that had been there long was one tang one clown (dead) 4 damsels (3dead) and a blenny (dead)

fhcichlidss

ea57d6dc188572d62b9b3295a744b7bf.jpg

Mike Johnson

Your first picture is a Kenyan Tree, family Nephtheidae. It won't hurt anything. There's an old school rule that you shouldn't put tangs into a immature aquarium. I waited a year before adding my Powder Blue. By contrast to your stocking. I have one tang in a 120 gal., with 7 fish total.

fhcichlidss

Your first picture is a Kenyan Tree, family Nephtheidae. It won't hurt anything. There's an old school rule that you shouldn't put tangs into a immature aquarium. I waited a year before adding my Powder Blue. By contrast to your stocking. I have one tang in a 120 gal., with 7 fish total.
But do you have any idea why theyre dying. It looked like.ich at first but then my damsels started dying and.they looked healthy but were also the first fish i had. Idk what to.do ive lost about 200$ worth of fish by now. My first fish to.die was a bicolor angel and he had this weird brown fungus looking thing.around his mouth

Mike Johnson

Google chuck's addiction and click on fish diseases; this will give you a basic understanding. We can work with you from there.

fhcichlidss

What were your water parameters telling us the test numbers will help us a little more

Stalking a tank near you
I don't remember exactly parameters but i know i tested yesterday and everything was good except nitrites. They were off the charts! But.im thinking it may be the ich medication ive been using.

reefle

I don't remember exactly parameters but i know i tested yesterday and everything was good except nitrites. They were off the charts! But.im thinking it may be the ich medication ive been using.

Nitrites are super toxic to livestock. Remember the cycle goes from Waste>Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites being the most toxic of all those mentioned. I would test nitrites again, cause it doesnt make a lot of sense having so much live rock in a 6 month old tank and not have the bacteria to break down the nitrite into nitrates.

However it could be due to too much livestock added at once, where the bacteria can't handle it, or for some reason your medication managed to kill your beneficial bacteria population.

fhcichlidss

Nitrites are super toxic to livestock. Remember the cycle goes from Waste>Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites being the most toxic of all those mentioned. I would test nitrites again, cause it doesnt make a lot of sense having so much live rock in a 6 month old tank and not have the bacteria to break down the nitrite into nitrates.

However it could be due to too much livestock added at once, where the bacteria can't handle it, or for some reason your medication managed to kill your beneficial bacteria population.
I doubt it was the meds because i read the ones im using are all natural. About a week ago i added like 5 fish and.some snails. Now all dead except snails.and a shrimp. I dont know exatcly what to do. My other tang is hiding alot and looks like a off.color he has like a light brown coloration under his skin. He looks yellow in some spots.but others look like a murky yellow. The damsel that died yesterday had been swimming wierd and bumping into the rock. When i was doing a wc he finally passed. He had fogged eyes.

Mike Johnson

Rule of thumb is to add one fish at a time, 2 - 3 weeks apart. There is no ich med that will work in a DT. I suspect you've had a huge ammonia spike. The tang is suffering from acclimation stress or ammonia poisoning.

Luukosian

Marine ich can kill pretty quickly, that and the combination of possibly crashing your nitrate cycle with the medication makes for a lot of stress on the fish. If nitrites(not nitrates) were off the charts, then your tank was either A. Not fully cycled or B. Crashed for some reason(probably meds). What exactly did you use to treat the display? I know it can be frustrating when you are just throwing money at dead fish but there is a fix for everything, keep your head in the game and you'll get past it. The people on here are a good resource for information/help.

First things first I would run some carbon to get that medication out and do some good water changes, then think about getting a quarantine/hospital tank to put the remaining fish in. You have to run your tank fallow(no fish) for quite a while to make sure any remaining ich is gone. Like said above...a reef safe ich treatment for the display is kind of the holy grail of reefing...there really isn't one yet.