What is the quietest powerhead you own?

reefrookie513

I am currently building a 60 cube. It just so happens to be about 10' from my wives ears while she is sleeping. I have the overflow tuned well enough that it is almost silent. Haven't turned a skimmer on yet and I know that is going to make some noise but right now I am addressing the flow. I brought a powerhead up off of my frag tank that I never really turn on and I had never realized how loud the damn thing is until it is the only noise I can hear coming from the tank. So my question is, what is the quietest wavemaker style powerhead that you have ever had?

Pat24601

I am currently building a 60 cube. It just so happens to be about 10' from my wives ears while she is sleeping. I have the overflow tuned well enough that it is almost silent. Haven't turned a skimmer on yet and I know that is going to make some noise but right now I am addressing the flow. I brought a powerhead up off of my frag tank that I never really turn on and I had never realized how loud the damn thing is until it is the only noise I can hear coming from the tank. So my question is, what is the quietest wavemaker style powerhead that you have ever had?

Hmmm. A good question. I'm not sure I even know. I did use wet side motors for this reason and I never noticed any significant noise from my powerheads with Jebao RW-8. But, I also never tried to turn everything off and listen really hard to see if I could hear anything. As you alluded to, my skimmer was always my big noise concern.

While my tank is in my living room, my wife is super noise sensitive, so I get your concern.

mr_tap_water

Hi there
IMO Most flow pumps that can do wave making Will make a certain amount of noise from winding up and down and usually quieter when just left on Full ,
and to some degree depends on how much you really want to spend I would say the best ones on the market at the moment and the quietist would be the Ecotech QDs probably the MP10 would be enough for your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Hi there
IMO Most flow pumps that can do wave making Will make a certain amount of noise from winding up and down and usually quieter when just left on Full ,
and to some degree depends on how much you really want to spend I would say the best ones on the market at the moment and the quietist would be the Ecotech QDs probably the MP10 would be enough for your system.

I always assumed the mp10 would be louder (to our ears... not our fish) because the motor is dry side instead of wet side. Is that not true?

mr_tap_water

I always assumed the mp10 would be louder (to our ears... not our fish) because the motor is dry side instead of wet side. Is that not true?
Apparently they're meant to be very quiet from what I've read and seen I think the idea of having the motor on the outside is to do with having no wires in the inside of your tank also the motor doesn't give off any heat to the water in your tank.

Pat24601

Apparently they're meant to be very quiet from what I've read and seen I think the idea of having the motor on the outside is to do with having no wires in the inside of your tank also the motor doesn't give off any heat to the water in your tank.

Cool then. :)

reefrookie513

Yea the one I have is a big jebao. Either a 15 or 20 not sure. I just ordered the 2 small ones from Amazon and am going to give them a try. I have 2 gyres on my display in my living room and was thinking about using one of those but the wife says she can hear them too. The 60 is a softie, zoa, nem tank with an open rock work aquascape so I shouldn't need that much flow.

Paul B

I have about 12 of them that don't work any longer. I don't hear anything from them. :confused: