What is the ideal temperature for the saltwater tank?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish' started by yan yan, Jun 20, 2020.

1. yan yan

yan yan New Member

What is the ideal temperature for the saltwater tank? Does it depend on which fish I have?

2. Carloz

Carloz New Member

First of all what kind of Saltwater tank do you plan on having? Reef, FOWLR or fish only? Then ideally withing those 3 branches there are many subsections. So yea what kind of tank do you want?

3. Humblefish

Humblefish Active Member

I run all my tanks between 76-78. Coral growth is a little slower, but so is algae growth. :smile:

4. Brittle star 11

I know it’s not 84.7 degrees but my system seems to be ok with these temperatures as long as they do not last more than 10 to 12 hours and it may be possible that it can hold out for a longer time I do not want to put my A/C on at this time i like fresh air like my corals and my blue wasp that have maintained a nest on a Jesus Christ cross above my bed for 4 years oh yeh I do not have to keep a screen in the window unless other insects start to invade my home and that does not happen that often.

Attached Files:

5. PSU4ME

PSU4ME JoePa lives on!!!
    RS STAFF

For my reef I shoot for 78-78.5. So far I’ve been able to maintain that but the best advice is 76-80 but stability is the most important. Limit swings as much as possible

Humblefish likes this.
  6. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

While several people did give you temps they keep their systems at, you also need to consider what fish and other livestock you have or plan to keep in your own tank. For example, a blue spot jawfish comes from cooler water and a warmer temp would be really hard on it.

Humblefish likes this.
  7. PSU4ME

PSU4ME JoePa lives on!!!
    RS STAFF

Agree Dave, the above is for the average reef. If you buy cool water fish with special needs, you’ll obviously need to provide them their specific environment. The bsj is a good example. Catalina goby I think as well. Cool water fish I believe are 72-76 temps

Humblefish likes this.