What is the history of Reef Sanctuary?

ZAPCOnj

So i was looking around and I couldn't find info on where RS started. where did this wonderful site come from? who started it? When was it launched? who owns it? who's been here since the beginning? and so on.

anyone have a link to a thread i missed or anyone who has been here from the get go care to post a history thread?

anyway, just wondering.
:lurk:

mps9506

I believe things started in November 2003 by Travis and Reef Lady.
A few others that got things going were Alf, Cosmic, Curt (CurtS? can't remember the handle), Witfull, ProBuilder, Woodstock and buncha others... I didn't show up until two months later (I was in the middle of exams and graduating from college when things started up here).
The basis of the site is in the name, most everyone here came from other forums that were at the time too inflammatory or had other drama going on.

Jeremy0322

What makes me sad is that my posts are creeping up on some of the people that have been here forever, really makes me feel like I have NO life :lol:

yungreefer2410

that makes me mad too lol. i just post alot when i am on. i don't get on that much. mainly i am on here whenever am i watching tv. it being winter time and me being a new student i don't have that much to do

Jeremy0322

Oh trust me, I have :lol: On a site that has 23,370 members she has 4.057% of the total posts. She is what you would call "Elite"

mps9506

No connection. Just same vbulletin software behind the scenes making everything work. It's the same software many forums use, if you look at other forums, not just on reefkeeping you will see they use the same software and have the same "feel" in how a lot of the stuff works. Regardless it's the people that make the forum work or not.

MatthewJ

:hug1:kudos to reeflady (who still takes the time to help us noobs) and the rest of you old farts :D

I started in this hobby in October and was really turned off by one of the other big reef forums. Luckily, I found my way here. This site is helpful and more noob friendly.

ReefLady

Staff member
Give Travis the credit, and Wit, Doni, BlueEyes, Craig, Mike (mps) - and all the other mods who have been here for years. I stepped away for quite a while, and these guys have kept the place what it is. It's easy to start a forum, it's harder to stick with it for the long run.

Last edited:

Wave Rider

No connection. Just same vbulletin software behind the scenes making everything work. It's the same software many forums use, if you look at other forums, not just on reefkeeping you will see they use the same software and have the same "feel" in how a lot of the stuff works. Regardless it's the people that make the forum work or not.

Thanks Mike, that makes sense. It is a very cool looking and an easy to work through web site. I agree, the people make it happen.

apologize for posting two reponses. I got (I thought) kicked out on the first one and did not think it went through.

Thanks for helping to set this up and allowing the rest of us to learn from the mistakes and success of others. I am currently in the MOFIB 2009 challenge to breed the Six Line Wrasse so anything extra that I can learn will be helpful.

The Avitar is a '38 Ford Woodie street rod that I made. Very, very fun to cruise. I do take it surfing.