What goes in the back?

apipkin

I was reading online today about the RSM 250 (I've had mine for a little over a year) and the thread stated that the sponges in the back are a nitrate factory. I've been rinsing/replacing my sponges, but if this is true, should I just remove them? Is there anything else in the back worth removing too (bio ring, carbon)?

Is there a better skimmer to use rather than the one that comes with the tank?

Also, is there a GFO that is common that is placed in the back?

Thanks for the advice!

Joeys Tank

They are a nitrate factory if you allow them to collect waste and give it weeks to decay. If you are cleaning out your sponges weekly, then this isn't an issue. I never had a 250 so I can't provide inputs on equipment sized for the tank, but there are many 250 users and tank chronicles you can check out and see what equipment they went with.

Big Pete

Hi Apipkin

I too run an RSM250 and I have removed the sponges and the bio rings, I am currently running the Deltec MC 500 skimmer and its very good.

if you are going to remove the bio rings then remove them 25% at a time over a period of a few weeks, that way you give your live rock a chance to catch up with your present bio load.

patience's is the key

cheers

Big Pete

Pat24601

As I move from exited newbie to somewhat more experienced newbie, I find myself wanting to spend less time on maintenance. So, while I was cleaning my sponges weekly, I'm starting to think I may just remove them.

My main thing, really, is I'd like to put some filter floss in its place as I currently put filter floss on top of my sponges--just to get a little bit of mechanical filtration. So, I'm not sure where I'll put it if I take out the sponges.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Many of us don't run the black sponges in our RSM 250s and very few run the bio-rings

Lots run Chemical Filtration of... one 100 ml bag of Purigen & two 11.74 oz bags of CPE (Chemi-Pure-Elite, which is a high grade carbon and Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO)

Big Pete

with the media basket it allows you to fit floss beside the white floss that you have on the left hand rear chamber, that's about as much mechanical filtration as i have, its also real easy to clean and takes a matter of minutes.

like nanoreefing4fun i run Purigen and Rowafos, i cannot buy Chemi -Pure here.

Big Pete

Hi Pat

no I have it bagged and in my media rack, its not ideal but it works for now, I am thinking of buying a reactor within the next few months but I a still doing some research on it.

cheers

Big Pete

Abanks8

Just dropped the sponge and added a bio pellet reactor. Was having an issue with nitrates but now they're pretty undetectable!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Pat24601

Hi Pat

no I have it bagged and in my media rack, its not ideal but it works for now, I am thinking of buying a reactor within the next few months but I a still doing some research on it.

cheers

Big Pete

Actually, I like this answer. I'm trying to figure out what to do and if this works for you, I think I'll copy it. :). I haven't used rowaphos before and evertytime I read about it people were using it in a reactor. I can't figure out a convenient wat to use a reactor with a C-250, so if a media bag is working for you, I'll try that. :)