What Fish?

Coraljunkie

Looking for opinions on what fish to add to my 54 corner tank. I've got a pair of clowns, 3 barnacle blennies, and a mystery wrasse that I had to remove and put into my qt for being too aggressive. I'm looking for something very colorful and active swimmer with good personality

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
How do you feel about dwarf angelfish :fishy:
They are very beautiful and I can tell you for sure that my Dwarf Cherub Angel swims non-stop in & out of my rockscape & the full length of my tank.
So many colors to pick from but most are rated "with caution" for being reef safe.

Snelly40

mystery was too agressive? i have not had one but was looking to get one, from what i have read this doesnt seem common, do you think it's more common than the literature is leading me to believe...

if he looks at my bsjf wrong i'll filet him... hahahhaa j/k ,,, kinda

frisbee

Well, for a 54 gallon tank your kind of limited as far as a colorful active swimmer goes. Angelfish are probably the cream of the crop. You've already got a pair of clownfish. Bangaii Cardinals kind of stay in one place, same goes with a Royal Gramma & Firefish IME. A Chalk Bass is not very colorful. Damsels can get aggressive.
Maybe look into a different Wrasse or perhaps an Anthias of some sort?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

Last edited:

Coraljunkie

I can't say for certain because this is my first mystery wrasse. I'm sure ifi had a larger fish in the tank it would keep it in check

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It surprised me that the color of the Blue Green Chromis added a real natural reef look to my tank. I have kept 3 of them peaceably for well over a year...but they have just recently started bullying the smallest one. :blue:
They are very busy swimmers, very aggressive eaters :yummy::yummy::yummy: and peaceful to all others except for the smallest of their own kind. They get BIGGER than I was expecting them to also. Not one of the prettiest fish if keeping a single IMO.

Pat24601

I like all of my fish and with one exception I chose them carefully.

2 clowns: It's a law you have two clowns. I'm just a law-abiding citizen.

1 Tomini Tang: This is a good fish, but I got talked into it. I wouldn't do Tangs if I was doing it again on my size tank. It definitely looks great, swims all over, and helps keep the tank clean, I've just become convinced my tank is too small for Tangs--even for a Tomini (a small Tang).

1 Flamehawk Fish-- I LOVE this guy. He has so much personality and just perches all over the place on the tank. Bright red too. Very colorful.

1 Midas Blenny--I also love this guy. He is so cute sitting in his little hole and mine also swims around quite a bit.

2 Banggai Cardinalfish (bonded pair).-- I think these fish are awesome. It doesn't sound like what you are looking for as mine swim slowly all over my tank, but they do make the rounds. I think they look awesome, but usually when people are thinking "colorful" they are thinking red/oranage/purple/etc. They do have like these dots on their fins that look really cool in the blue lights. (That's my professional language).

Royal Gramma--- I just got her. Beautiful fish, but from what folks tell me sometimes they are shy and sometimes they aren't. I think in most cases it seems like they end up out and about, but I have heard stories of them hiding most of the time. I just got mine so we will see how it goes. Seems like a great, peaceful fish, though.

I'm at my fish limit, so that's it for me, even though I have more I like. I LOVE angels, but worried about compatibility issues.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My Royal Gramma is not shy....But she mostly only loves ME :heart::winky:
I've heard that some are and some aren't. Mine likes to swim on whatever end of the tank that I'm sitting closest to :D
She has a cool fishonality but she hides from stranger who get too close to the tank. BEAUTIFUL FISH, but not a real active swimmer.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Here's a Video (YouTube) that I made to show my fish eating from the veggie clip. They didn't act so normal because I was videoing it o_O and the Royal Gramma does NOT eat from the veggie clip, she just wanted to be close to me.
It started a bit of an unexpected squabble...
Here's proof that SHE STANDS HER GROUND:

Jeremie

I'm in same situation. I have a 45G cube with a pair of Extreme Picasso Clowns, and a green Chromis. I'm currently looking for my next fish and would like an active swimmer since my clowns just hang out in the corner. However, I think I may have to put the active swimmer on hold because I really want a Blenny and I think I should get him in and settled next. Waiting for the right Bicolor, Tail Spot, or Yellow Eyed Combtooth that gives me the "you know you want me" look.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you do consider a type of Anthias...be sure to check the minimum tank size suggested for the particular variety it might be.
Seems they all are either 70gal or 125gal.
The care level kept them off of my list.
I've seen some very pretty ones & I've seen some that looked more like fancy goldfish in a saltwater tank.

Pat24601

Here's a Video (YouTube) that I made to show my fish eating from the veggie clip. They didn't act so normal because I was videoing it o_O and the Royal Gramma does NOT eat from the veggie clip, she just wanted to be close to me.
It started a bit of an unexpected squabble...
Here's proof that SHE STANDS HER GROUND:

For whatever reason, I never noticed your clowns are black and white. Aside from your 3 chromis, we have the same fish. :)

Your Royal Gramma is tough.