What fish for FOWLR

Pat24601

I'm trying to figure out what fish to research for my 65 gallon FOWLR. I know that's a bit small for a FOWLR, but it's the size my wife has approved. :)

This is what I have on my list so far just looking through liveaquaria and talking to my LFS. Some are definitely a stretch, but I'm trying to keep the list more expansive and I'll narrow down later.

Any thoughts? Anything I missed?

Bennett's Sharpnose or Porcupine Puffer (feeding)
flame angel
Pearscale butterfly
Angler ??? (feeder shrimp)
eel (probably not)
one spot foxface
flame hawkfish
Lionfish (poison)
blue dot jawfish
triggerfish? (probably too big)
pink-face wrasse (or other wrasse)

DaveK

I've never been much on puffers, so I'd tend to leave those out, but this is a personal choice, not a compatibility one.

Anglers and lionfish can eat fish almost as large as they are and they grow. I have had lionfish, but in my "old age" I tend not to get anything that can really do me in. Definitely a fish you don't want if you have young kids around.

Triggers can be tricky. Many of the most colorful species get really nasty as they mature and would make your project a "one fish" tank.

My best advice is choose evach fish carefully, and don't be in a rush to fill it up. Make sure each fish is a real gem and really adds something to the tank.

Pat24601

I've never been much on puffers, so I'd tend to leave those out, but this is a personal choice, not a compatibility one.

Anglers and lionfish can eat fish almost as large as they are and they grow. I have had lionfish, but in my "old age" I tend not to get anything that can really do me in. Definitely a fish you don't want if you have young kids around.

Triggers can be tricky. Many of the most colorful species get really nasty as they mature and would make your project a "one fish" tank.

My best advice is choose evach fish carefully, and don't be in a rush to fill it up. Make sure each fish is a real gem and really adds something to the tank.

Great advice as always, Dave!

cracker

I agree with Dave . At least think twice about the angler. I'm setting up a fowlr also. If I end up with a reef friendly one, It won't be because I chose it for that reason ! LOL

Pat24601

I agree with Dave . At least think twice about the angler. I'm setting up a fowlr also. If I end up with a reef friendly one, It won't be because I chose it for that reason ! LOL

Oh yeah, what kind of FOWLR are you setting up? I'm sure I'm going to be jealous.

shark32

I have a 125 gallon FOWLR and my One Spot Foxface looks huge in there! I think a full grown one would be too big for a 65. I also have a 2 1/2, maybe 3 inch blue jaw trigger fish. He is very small and from what I have been researching (he is my newest fish) they are very slow growers. You would have to consider rehoming him eventually( which for me would be really hard, I get attached to my fish!). The angel, flame hawk, puffer, butterfly, jawfish and wrasses, I think, would be fine. I do not have any experience with an Angler or Lionfish. The Anglers always look so cute when they come in cause they are so tiny, but then when my LFS gets a big one, YIKES! They look big and predatory! Good luck with your tank!

Pat24601

I have a 125 gallon FOWLR and my One Spot Foxface looks huge in there! I think a full grown one would be too big for a 65. I also have a 2 1/2, maybe 3 inch blue jaw trigger fish. He is very small and from what I have been researching (he is my newest fish) they are very slow growers. You would have to consider rehoming him eventually( which for me would be really hard, I get attached to my fish!). The angel, flame hawk, puffer, butterfly, jawfish and wrasses, I think, would be fine. I do not have any experience with an Angler or Lionfish. The Anglers always look so cute when they come in cause they are so tiny, but then when my LFS gets a big one, YIKES! They look big and predatory! Good luck with your tank!

Exactly the type of advice I need. Thanks!

Pat24601

So, I think this is my current short list.

Any thoughts? Which one should I add first?

I still need to research compatibility, but I'm not aware of anything that looks problematic.

Valentino or blue spot puffer
flame Angel
flame hawkfish
marine betta
pearlscale butterfly
coral beauty