What do you Feed your Yellow Tang ? ? ? :)

rmackay

hi i am new to the salt water tank world at about 3 days the tank i perchused i got from sombody localy that had it set up and running with a yellow tang and a blue damsel. the question i have is how much and how often do i feed them they are in a 55 gal tank with about 15 hermetcrabs, 1 spider crab, and 1 serpent star fish.

SaltyEDGE06

Cole, Your tank is too small for the tang (55gal).... Since you don't believe me I pulled your quote and moved it here, so others will comment. I don't care what others have done,,,, Minimum tank size is a 100 gal. Look at the peeps tank sizes, who have answered your question.... All 100+

I see Lynn found the other thread... Obviously you do not listen

People always try to say that tanks are "to small" for fish, but this can be false on many occasions. For example: I have a tank around 50 gallons as well and have 2 tangs in it...they've been in it for a year and a half now and been doing great...so I could really care less what the "manual" says, if it works and the fish are doing fine..it's okay. I'm no expert but I have decent experience with tangs.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I feed my Yellow Tang "Nori" sheets and she gets varied diet via Rods Food but there is always some Nori in there. also when I can get some I'll put other types of Macro in there for her to eat. I like to see her fat and happy :)

new reefer 03

eh just throw a cheeseburger in there...make sure it has the lettuce on it.

:lol: a Big Mac :) poor fish will have a heart attack lol

al how do you know your tang is a her?

now i feed my tang my home made mush (search "Cole's Mush" to find out whats in it) i also try to put nori, green seaweed, or brown seawed in every other day. as a treat pull some chaeto out of the fuge if i have a little extra weekly

new reefer 03

Because her name is Daisy. Wouldn't the be a silly name for a DUDE fish? LOL!

Your yellow eats Chaeto? For reals? Mine wont even touch it.

oh, lol. i thought there may be some way to determine gender.

my tang loves Chaeto! lol
blurry, but its a pic of the tang taking down some Chaeto. :bigbounce
3-15-2009039.jpg

clownfish02

personaly i would feed it live food if you have any ,try mysis or brine shrimp.try to make it live because that would make it feel like its back in the sea and then it might feel more comfortable eating.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
personaly i would feed it live food if you have any ,try mysis or brine shrimp.try to make it live because that would make it feel like its back in the sea and then it might feel more comfortable eating.

Woa there clownfish02 you gotta read up on this animal just a tad more. "In the sea" they are constantly grazing on all types of Macro-Algae in addition to eating other small meaty items in the wild.

Here is an online description on their eating habits

Although the Yellow Hawaiian Tang will eat meaty foods along with the other fish in the aquarium, it is important the Yellow Hawaiian Tang is offered plenty of marine based seaweed and algae. This will strengthen its immune system, reduce aggression and improve overall health.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am always open to new ideas. So I went and tried some fruit. It's amazing how much water can be displaced with a watermelon!
Next time I will try a cucumber. They have cucumbers in the sea I think I read somewhere. But at the rate the tangs are eating the watermelon it's going to be a while~

new reefer 03

I am always open to new ideas. So I went and tried some fruit. It's amazing how much water can be displaced with a watermelon!
Next time I will try a cucumber. They have cucumbers in the sea I think I read somewhere. But at the rate the tangs are eating the watermelon it's going to be a while~

a sea cucumber? :lol: thas an animal that is part of the CUC. :lol: kj, im sure you werent referring to that lol.

did you put a whole watermelon in your tank? what about the pesticides and what not they use on the fruits?