WHat do you feed corals and how often and how much?

Hey guys,
Im just wondering what do you guys feed your corals. Im feeding my coral (an acropora) oyster eggs i heard there good but how often should i feed them im feeding them right now 3 times a day is that to much? I also am very concerned about my nitrates I cant see anything on my testers yet but i put like 2 sqirts from the bottle about a table spoon and i notice a film on the top of my tank which seems a little off because my skimmer is on 24/7. oh my tank is a 46 gallon and will it be fine.
thanks in advance.:wave:

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I only target feed my Acans and Duncans, I feed them every 2 to 3 days but they would probably be fine without it I just have fun feeding them

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I feed my coral a mix of oyster feast, roto-feast and cyclopeeze once a day.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I feed my corals healthy water and good light...........and if they happen to get the occassional excess food floating around, good for them:)

Most light dependent corals don't need to be fed that often (some exceptions) so if you're having nitrate problems, dial it back, it won't kill them.

reeferman

+1^ dead on there Brian.
to op,you dont want to feed your acropora,the little benefit you get will be greatly outweighed by adding excess nutrients to the water column.acros like pristine,stable water with strong light and high flow.

reeferman

if your feeding for your acro,it will get plenty of food[amino acids]from your fish feeding and fish waste.no need to add excess nutrients to the tank that you have to get back out.

reeferman

there is only a need to feed corals if they are nps[non photosynthetic].most corals are photosynthetic,meaning they get all their energy they need from the light.adding excess foods only compound problems in most tanks,especially nanos if an aggressive approach to skimming and nutrient removal isnt maintained.