Wet skimming better nitrate removal?

solpete

I am struggling with high nitrates. I have a Fm ultra skim 2. Does the "mud" buildup in the stand pipe lower efficiency? If I wet skim no buildup will occur... Seems reasonable. Anyone with experience?

sirrealism

Yes letting the mud build up lowers efficiency. Yes wet skimming is better for this issue. There are plenty of reefers who will skimm very very wet and use it for water changes. I have thought about this as an Idea for some time. Most of your better skimmers have a drain plug in the cup so you can have it drain into something else. so why not put fresh salt water in you ATO and a waist line on your skimmer. Turn it up and have it do a water change like that. It would take some creativity but it could be done. Maybe put a timer on your Skimmer so it doesnt use up all your ATO water and run dry but I think you get my idea

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think your "skimming" is your problem BUT.... you want to keep the skimmer "system" clean so it operates at peak efficiency.

Nitrate isn't a solid that can be removed via skimming. Nitrate (NO3) reduction is done naturally within the system when everything is balanced and "manual" removal is via water changes. Your percentage of water change is directly proportional to percentage of NO3 reduction. The bigger the water change the more NO3 removed from your system.

What do you consider "High Nitrates"?

solpete

I don't think your "skimming" is your problem BUT.... you want to keep the skimmer "system" clean so it operates at peak efficiency.

Nitrate isn't a solid that can be removed via skimming. Nitrate (NO3) reduction is done naturally within the system when everything is balanced and "manual" removal is via water changes. Your percentage of water change is directly proportional to percentage of NO3 reduction. The bigger the water change the more NO3 removed from your system.

What do you consider "High Nitrates"?

Right now it's peaking at 50-100 ppm.

solpete

I had good experience with sugar before, but it stopped working eventually. It might have to do with successful phosphorus removal so that carbon eating bacteria stopped growing no matter how much sugar I dared adding (several teaspoons for 100 get tank)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Your key to NO3 stabilizing is determining how your tank is handling NO3 and make changes accordingly. I'm not a fan of "Dosing to solve a symptom" and fact of the matter elevated NO3 is just that. Either husbandry is lacking, system is being over-fed, system is over loaded in regards to bioload, or many other possible reasons. Here's what I would do if I woke up in the morning and this were my system:

A) Prepare to do several "large" and SAFE water changes. NO3 reduction = Water Change %. 50% water change should net pretty close to 50% NO3 reduction. For this reason I like to see a few hefty water changes to get things under control.

B) Evaluate your feeding amount, frequency, and type of food. You may be able to make significant changes with subtle changing to feeding

C) Evaluate your W/C regimen and consider increasing it to meet your tanks demands. Watch your NO3 and adjust your W/C accordingly.

sirrealism

though I would agree with BigAl they do things a little different over in Scandinavia and some of it I like a lot. Just look at TOTY GlennF He has not done a water change in 8 years. Solpete let me ask you what you have for rock? Do you have plenty of space in your sump. This would take some time but if you were to add a pair of Marine pure 8X8X4 blocks I think you could get your N03 under control with out dosing. More surface more bacteria to eat up the N03.

sirrealism

The Germans dont do water changes like we do either. Not sure why but a lot of other countries think about this problem differently then we do. Not that one is right or wrong just different.

solpete

though I would agree with BigAl they do things a little different over in Scandinavia and some of it I like a lot. Just look at TOTY GlennF He has not done a water change in 8 years. Solpete let me ask you what you have for rock? Do you have plenty of space in your sump. This would take some time but if you were to add a pair of Marine pure 8X8X4 blocks I think you could get your N03 under control with out dosing. More surface more bacteria to eat up the N03.

I have 500 liters water and approx 150 kg rock or more

sirrealism

you have a sump? I am stupid and will have to look up the metric system to know what those mean. LOL what would you like to get your N03 down too? what does your rock look like? Check out http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php. I personally think this is the best stuff on the market with out dosing. Dosing sugar is also ver popular by you yet very unpopular in the USA. Vodka and vinegar are more what we do. But I dont do any so I am no help with that. Well I drink plenty of vodka but I wont share it with my tanks

solpete

you have a sump? I am stupid and will have to look up the metric system to know what those mean. LOL what would you like to get your N03 down too? what does your rock look like? Check out http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php. I personally think this is the best stuff on the market with out dosing. Dosing sugar is also ver popular by you yet very unpopular in the USA. Vodka and vinegar are more what we do. But I dont do any so I am no help with that. Well I drink plenty of vodka but I wont share it with my tanks

I have a sump but not space for refugium or algae. 100 cm equals 39 inches.

sirrealism

do you use a sock? Do you have bio balls. Something is creating a N03 factory in your tank. Have you lost a fish?

solpete

very nice set up. Lots of rock. What are you using for flow? what does your filteration look like?

I have a 3400 gph wave maker jebao wp-40 and a small tunze stream pump which is turned of atm. I have no filtration. I use iron based po4 remover in a reactor. 250 g active carbon every two weeks. 400 watt full spectrum led setup (deep tank) on sunrise/sunset. The amount of rock is CRAZY. My mandarin and two red scooter dragonets are well fed so to speak. Cant say pods are declining at all. The pods are fat too :)