Welcome to the RSM club forum!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've been adding RSM owners to my buddy list and just counted 56! Not all are heard from very often, and I'm sure there are some lurkers who need to "unlurk" and join in. I think Reef Sanctuary is the only forum that has a subforum dedicated to the RSM tanks. We have quite a knowledge base building on the RSM!

chefunk

Is there need to actually join the club or are you a member by default when you buy a RSM? I'm awaiting delivery and have not set up yet, been toodling around but don't see a "membership" forum. Excited I found this because I am a total newbie to aquarium keeping and am scared I may have gotten in over my head, but I will try to perservere!

Whipitup

Nope, no membership form, just start asking questions and posting pictures................the letter being the most important it seems.
:yup: :yup: :yup:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
chefunk - Welcome to the RSM Club!

Congratulations on the new tank on its way! Whipitup is correct. No forms, no prequisites other than owning an RSM (if that's even necessary), and no dues, unless you'd like to support Reef Sanctuary with paid membership (nice but in no way necessary). We're just an informal group of RSM owners that share our tank experiences, and help each other out. Think of it as an RSM support group for those of us that are hopelessly addicted to this hobby. I think this RSM Club section is unique in being the only one that I'm aware of dedicated to the RSM tanks - we can thank Reef Sanctuary for setting that up for us! So, post away all you want with questions, a thread on your tank, etc. :)

OzMAX

Im posting from Ozland after just paying for my first RSM 130D (Have to wait till march for it to get here). I've been reading up on the posts from everyones setup and I'm really excited to be giving the all in one style a go. The waiting is already killing me and i only paid like an hour ago - how am i going to last a whole month (maybe more if customs feel like messing with me). Any hints or tips regarding pre arrangements or any suggested additional equipment would be very welcome, i added an RO filter to the bill and took it home, awesome suprise i paid for a 150l/pd and got the 300 by accident (YEAH!)

PS will start my ow tank thread when it arrives

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
OzMAX - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Owners Club

Good deal on the RO unit! If you don't have prior SW experience, I'd suggest doing a lot of reading - not just in this RSM section, but several of the other forum sections as well. There are some good books out there too. Read a lot! The more you know before the tank arrives, the better off you'll be. And don't order your rock till the tank is set up.

OzMAX

Thanks for the welcome reefmack. This will be my second SW tank. First was fish only and i had to give my stock away to a good home when i moved last year. Since then ive been reading and researching reef tanks in the hope of one day giving it a try. Im settled into a new place now and when is saw the 130d in my lfs i knew it was for me. Form, function and quality parts. After reading up on the forums i was sold.
With any luck one day ill have reef as nice as some of the ones ive seen here.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
OzMAX - at least you've got some SW experience in your favor. You'll soon have a nice reef tank I'm sure!

alphasierra

OzMAX - Welcome to RS!

Great to see another Aussie, especially from S.A! I lived and worked there for 4 years and absolutely loved the place.
Congrats on the RSM purchase and I'm sure your will enjoy your tank. The guys on here are great so don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have about your tank.

PS: You'll need a chiller for those very hot summer days! That... I don't miss! :)

marine281

:welcomera Ozmax, Alpha is right, things get hot without a chiller! i've got a Hailea 1/10 HP, and in 40 degree heat today with lights on, the temp is sitting happily on 27 degrees. Definately a good investment, an overheated tank is a very sad thing...

fireydavo

Hi guys had my RSM for 18months. It was all well till i stopped my water changes and took thing for granted "had exams for work". Everthing died. Had a cronic alge problem turned the lights off and ran it on 1 pump due to poor flow for about 12 weeks with no lights that killed all the alge.
Well it has now cycled for about 12weeks with just rock and i am about to start again.Looks pretty good.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
fireydavo :welcomera to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Crew!

Sorry about the tank going downhill, but that can happen, unfortunately, when these SW tanks get neglected. I know myself how tough it can be to find the time to keep up with water changes & other maintenance. You're not the first one to have this happen, but best wishes to you on getting things restarted again. You might want to start your own tank thread to make it easier to get help and opinions from RSM owners and the other Reef Sanctuary members.

Borg11

Hi there,
I pick my RSM up on Saturday. I have to move a FW tank over the weekend, but I am excited to get going.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Borg11 :welcomera to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM crew!

Start a tank thread when you get the tank set up!

Borg11

Thanks for the welcome. I've got my RSM home and it is all together. I've been reading the forum trying to figure out whether I should use the bio rings or not. There's alot of different opinions on them. Do you think I should use the filter media and bio rings when first cycling the tank and then take them out? I will start a thread...it's pretty cool watching different tanks mature.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Just my opinions, but I'd start out with the bio-balls, let the bacteria population build up in the live rock and substrate, then take them out later in the game. Filter media - yes also - the pads and/or sponge will remove a lot of junk that may come off the rock, etc. and carbon will get rid of organics. Great to hear you'll be starting a thread - Good luck with your new RSM adventure! :)

Borg11

Thanks for the info Reefmack. I think that makes the most sense for me. I just needed some imput from some of the pros.