Waving hand trouble

James Strailey

Hello, I just purchased a waving hand coral and was wondering how long I can expect to wait for it to open. My other corals have always opened up soon after purchase but the new coral has not. Is this normal for the species. Any advice would be most appreciated.

DaveK

This is a funny coral. Sometimes it's considered hard to keep and at others a weed that takes over everything. For now just give it some time. Long term, if it seems to be growing too fast, don't be afraid to cut it back.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Are you referring to pink Anthelia? If so, it will open up as soon as it adjusts, usually in a few days. Many people consider this species a "weed" coral. I personally think it looks amazing under the right LED lights - it gets a purplish sheen to it. It doesn't require a lot of light. When it gets "barely" enough light, it will get big and mostly translucent, not very attractive. Keeping it under brighter light will keep the polyps smaller and beautiful (colorful and shiny!).

Once settled, it should grow quickly for you, but don't place it too close to SPS, as it may try to take over the SPS. During nighttime, many SPS will get defensive and sting the Anthelia, killing it back. That said, it causes undue stress on both corals.

Hope that helps?
Jeff

Paul B

I don't know anything about that coral. But maybe it hasn't seen anything to wave at yet.
You never know. :rolleyes: