Water quality

ejcarl

I am just starting a new 75 gal tank I converted from a freshwater tank. I established it 3 weeks ago and water testing was fine after the first week (prior to fish)....1st week with 1 small clown fish and testing was fine... Added a small puffer and eel and now this week all of my levels are fine except the ammonia, which is at 2.0. Should I be concerned? And, if so, what would you recommend I do? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pat24601

I am just starting a new 75 gal tank I converted from a freshwater tank. I established it 3 weeks ago and water testing was fine after the first week (prior to fish)....1st week with 1 small clown fish and testing was fine... Added a small puffer and eel and now this week all of my levels are fine except the ammonia, which is at 2.0. Should I be concerned? And, if so, what would you recommend I do? Thanks for your help!

Ammonia is definitely a big cause for concern.

I'd be doing big water changes, but I'm not sure what else to do. I'll let others comment.

Sounds like your tank couldn't handle the bioload just yet. Probably needed to go a bit slower on livestock, but I know that doesn't do you a lot of good now.

I'd retest too and make sure your ammonia reading is right. Maybe gave your LFS double check. I wouldn't want to overreact if it's just a faulty reading.

Btw, not trying to be critical. Just trying to give advice. Glad to see you in the hobby and contributing!

ejcarl

Ammonia is definitely a big cause for concern.

I'd be doing big water changes, but I'm not sure what else to do. I'll let others comment.

Sounds like your tank couldn't handle the bioload just yet. Probably needed to go a bit slower on livestock, but I know that doesn't do you a lot of good now.

I'd retest too and make sure your ammonia reading is right. Maybe gave your LFS double check. I wouldn't want to overreact if it's just a faulty reading.

Btw, not trying to be critical. Just trying to give advice. Glad to see you in the hobby and contributing!
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I'll give it a try. I'm new to the tank and technology, so I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks again

Witfull

water change 20%, cut feeding to a minimum and if it continues rise, there is a product called ammo-lock. it converts ammonia to ammonium, a less toxic form and eases gill burn. do not add any livestock for at least a month or more. when the ammonia drops, slowly increase feeding and have patience.

ejcarl

water change 20%, cut feeding to a minimum and if it continues rise, there is a product called ammo-lock. it converts ammonia to ammonium, a less toxic form and eases gill burn. do not add any livestock for at least a month or more. when the ammonia drops, slowly increase feeding and have patience.
Will do! Thanks so much!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Witfull

Feeding tongs. Don't let food float around tank hoping he will find it. I always fed frozen shrimp never the dried junk. Pinch a piece of shrimp in the tongs and wave it near where he is, if he comes out to check it out, hold still and let him smell it. If he take's it let go immediately. If he doesn't want it, try again the next day. As you can see mine is well trained, and yes that is a whole squid.

Sent from Capt. Kirk's communicator