Water Flow for a 40 gallon new reef tank

Kendall B

I am a newbie, yet excited, newbie that just successfully cycled my first saltwater tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder with a Eshoops HOB PSK-100H Protein Skimmer and a HOB 30-60 gallon filter pump. I have two simple Clowns that are doing great. I am running two separate 800gph powerheads inside and am wondering if they are adequate enough for my tank. I have 40 lbs of live rock and 60lbs of dry rock that is covered with brow algae which from what I am reading is normal.The water moves great, the fish swim great and a clean up crew will be added within the week, so I want to make sure that I have enough water flow or do I need to decrease or increase my water flow to have a great soft coral reef tank. P.S. I also have1250 & a 1400 gph powerheads on deck if need be. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

DaveK

With two 800 gph powerheads, you have more than enough flow. No need to go beyond that.

The brown algae your seeing is typical for new tanks. It's usually diatoms and while it looks ugly, it's not a problem. Usually it goes away by itself in a month or so.

Pat24601

With two 800 gph powerheads, you have more than enough flow. No need to go beyond that.

The brown algae your seeing is typical for new tanks. It's usually diatoms and while it looks ugly, it's not a problem. Usually it goes away by itself in a month or so.

@DaveK is always correct as he's a resident expert and I'm not, but fwiw, I was thinking the same thing.

Kendall B

Thanks for the in put. I was worried that it was to much flow for soft coral. I've just cycled the tank... yes the diatoms are in full effect so I'm right on schedule. Gonna get a good sized clean up crew this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

cracker

I agree with everybody. May I add, take it slow on the cleanup crew . There may not be enough to sustain a bunch of critters all at once.