Water changes with Sump

Susanedw

Okay, this might seem like a silly question but as I've not had a tank with sump, I'm not sure how you do water changes.

If I have a manifold, I know I can use this. But what is the procedure
Do I just open valve and let the return pump pump out what I want? (via hose into sink or container)
Is it better to siphon from tank? Or if I choose to do so, I turn off return pump
If I use a transfer pump to clean out sump (skimmer area) do I turn off return pump
Assuming of course if I clean the return pump chamber, I have to turn off pump.

What is the best way or ways to do water changes when one has a sump. I've only worked with AIO's

saintsreturn

I do water changes from my sump using a small pump to my the water to it's export area (driveway). First I turn off my heater, skimmer, and return and then mix the water in the sump to stir up debris.

Pump out the water I don't want and then use a pump to refill to my line.

Easy and no display tank disruption.

I have never used valves or anything to do it, I cannot expand on that area.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

I drain and fill from display for quick 20g changes.

When i need to clean the sump i use a bucket vacuum to do so. Each chamber i vac has about 5g in it so the bucket is perfect. I dont call that my WC because i only really clean out 10g or less.

DaveK

It really doesn't make too much difference. Just make sure you have everything back in place and running when your done.

If I;m doing a major huge water change, I turn off the pumps. Then I drain the sump using a small pump and part of the tank using a siphon or pump. Then I refill it and turn everything back on.

saintsreturn

Nothing to be scared about so focus on the excitement. Read up on what you want to do and take your time. Ask as many questions as you want here. This is a great group of people who love helping others.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk